Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Writer Wednesday: Miranda Oh



Some people you connect with because they have some deep insights that can change your life. Then there’s the people who can do this while still being cheeky as can be and having a ton of fun with what they write and HOW they write it. Miranda Oh is not your typical odd duck, she’s cheeky, sassy, confident, talented, determined, and fun AF. She’s not the type of person to avoid conflict in favor of the easy road and would rather put the car in 4 wheel drive and turn up the music.

Hell, here’s her bio on Twitter: "Buckle up & enjoy, let me take u on a journey thru moments of inappropriate laughter, a twisted sense of humor, and a dirty loud bitchy inner voice!" If this is the type of person you’d like to know, read below


1. Greetings and salutations Miranda of the Oh. Thanks for joining us here and to let people get to know the OH you, tell us, who is Miranda and why is it a good idea to check your work out?

Hey J.D. Thank-you so much for having me, I am OH so excited to be here and super duper thrilled to dive head first into this adventure you have planned for us. First things first, the title says it all; Chin Up Tits Out - it don't matter who you are, just pick up the book and give it a read. Even if you don't read, I suggest it! Why? Because; if nothing more, you will be left with 4 simple words, and 2 small actions, that can make an enormous impact on our lives; if we let it. Secondly, if you like sipping a particular beverage while reading; I encourage it. This twisted snarky and absurdly ridiculous story gets even better when you be sipping on a bevvy. Lastly, there is sex, drugs, and African jungles; who isn't intrigued by those topics?

2. OK (Or is it Oh-K?), Chin up tits out is not only the title of your novel, but sounds like your life mantra. What can you tell us about your book and the title behind it?

Oh-K, oh-k, oh-k; listen up everyone, let's remove our minds from the gutter, and process the two small actions of lifting our chin, and extending through your chest (a classy way of saying chin up and tits out).This stemmed from a saying my mom used to tell me when I was a little girl; "chin up chest out, show confidence and be confident". Over time, hormones set in, and attitudes came out. It evolved into me bucking for a compliment from my mum and my mom annoyingly rolled her eyes and chuckled out; "You know you are gorgeous, chin up tits out and have a blast". I didn't intend that to turn into a tag line or the title of my series, or a way of living, but over the years, it naturally evolved into this life motto. The idea behind actually doing the chin up tits out action is that it makes you look confident on the outside. If you keep doing that, even if you aren't confident on the inside; that eventually with pratice, and dedication to that choice; everything will work itself out perfectly how it is meant to be. My books follow a spicy young women diving head first into life, going after whatever she believes in, even when the universe is working against her at every turn. Watch Hadley get knocked down by rediculousness, then pick her self up, dust herself off, and dive in head first again, determined, almost too stubborn. She is someone our own inner voices may relate to. You know, the one that you would never speak with out loud. Sometimes it is extreme and sometimes it's bitchy, you know... there is something going on in there right now, as you're reading this. That Voice - she embodies our inner voice; and it is a riot!

  


3. I have some friends from Manitoba and I’ve heard it described MANY ways, but many people note it for the extremes in its weather. How has the weather of your home town impacted who and how you are?

J.D. Next time you go to Puetro Rico, please take me with you! I hate the cold, but I love my home more! Manitoba is one of the friendliest places I've ever been. Random strangers will smile and say hi for no reason. And yes, I am one of them! I LOVE waving to people when they let me into traffic. I ask the drive-thru people how their day is before I order because it makes me happy to put a smile on someone's face. It feels good in my soul. The weather makes us nice to one another. Picture this, it's minus 30 celcius, your car dies on the highway, at night, and you can still count on the first person driving by that they will stop, pull over, and check in on you. The cold also makes us resilient to harsh extremes, changes, and diversity. We're a unique bunch of really cool people, and the more I travel, the more I realize that. Every time I come home, I love this place a little more (Although; I do require at least a week during the winter season on a beach somewhere hot, no judgement, I need a week off of being 'nice' and 'resilient' , just kidding.)

4. What are your writer plans for the next 3 years?

My plan as a writer and a speaker is to share my words with the world. I want to continue to help people lead happier healthier lives through a motto, and through a sense of self-love, self-respect, and a little bit of twisted humour. I don't write non-fiction, how-to books, or anything of the sort. I write like I am your best friend, who is about to sit you down and tell you their crazy ass twisted story over a bottle of wine... or two... or three, all while witnessing how powerful those 4 words can be. My hopes are to keep expanding and sharing the love and spreading the positive vibes to people globally. Spread the word and share the love!


5. Being represented by Creative Edge, what are the top 3 lessons you’ve had with them representing you?

  1. Together we are better 
  2. My Creative Edge team always has my best interests at heart when advising me of direction and opportunity
  3. To slow down when I talk; when I get excited, (nice choice of words...nervous...) I start to talk really fast.

6. Give us the top 5 most random jobs you’ve had.
  • Snowboard Instructor
  • Lifeguard 
  • Air Brush Tattooer
  • Car Salesperson
  • Author


7. What’s the biggest challenge you’ve had as a writer and how does it compare to some of the biggest challenges in your personal life?

The challenge that I faced the most while writing was becoming extremely emotionally invested in my writing. That was a direct impact of choosing to write about certain things that happened in my life and the people around me. I wanted to write something that hit home for a lot of different types of people. Because at the end of the day, strip the circumstances, any feeling of positive or negative is similar. The feeling of happy; no matter the circumstances, is the same for us, and the same goes for negative feelings. No matter the circumstances, there is always going to be someone out there that knows the feeling that you're feeling, no matter how dark, or how down you may feel, you are truly never alone. Watching Hadley fly through life, and cheering her on, through numerous serious life events that we have all either gone through, or know someone who's gone through. We are connected through these feelings no matter where we come from or where we're headed. Through my 20's I dove head first into what I believed was right, and I kept at it. When things broke down, I glued them back together, and continued to move forward; not knowing exactly where I was going. Still, somehow I knew I had to just keep moving forward. Through a hell of a lot of wine, multiple meltdowns, and too many pee your pants laughing moments,  before I knew it, my journey had turned into these books.

8. If Chin Up Tits Out were a cocktail, what would be in it? 

A very Dirty Vodka Martini; extra Olives.
Zesty, strong, and up front; with something to eat; because, yum.


 


9. Since Canada has such a rich tradition in professional wrestling (Bret Hart being one of my top 5 wrestlers), what would be your intro music to the ring?

It will sound cliché and vain; although it works for me; so judgement free zone: "Feelin' My Self" by Nicki Minaj is my jam. It isn't because I am always feeling my own self, but it's a reminder that I always have a responsibility to take care of myself and be happy myself before I look outward for that. So if I am not feeling myself and need a pick me up, I will crank this and car dance to wherever I am going!


10. What are the best places for people to connect with you?

People, please reach out, I love connecting with cool souls from all over, I welcome any and all! My facebook link, IG and Twitter links are below. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh myyy! I knew this was gonna be one of JD's best interviews and I was right! Hearing that she asks drive thru attendants how they are doing doesn't surprise me in the least either.

    ReplyDelete