Monday, November 19, 2018

A PSA: Public Sock Announcement

Firstly, and foremostly: my deepest thanks to everyone who participates week after week on #SockItToMe. It’s a heck of a lot of fun to share random sock pics and shenanigans and on my behalf, that shall continue… but a few things will be changing and I wanted to let you know. 

OK so, I realized I’ve never properly explained #SockItToMe, why I do it, and why I insist on flooding people’s feeds with sock pictures. If you don't know, every Thursday I take random pictures with my socks and share them on social media with the hashtags #SockItToMe and #SockFamily. The main purpose of it is to have fun. I see the ridiculous division we live on a daily basis and how simple it is for us to fall in patterns of negativity, anger, frustration, etc. and part of me honestly has a genuine desire to try to lighten things up. So if there were to be a Mission Statement, it would be as follows. 

“The Sock Family is committed to adding some silly to the general dialogue on social media to find a safe place where we can all find something goofy to smile about.”

This can at some point change but in short, it’s a feel good thread for anyone to participate in. It is very important that no one ever on any of the threads discriminate based on gender, sex, nationality, religion, creed, social class, or political affiliation. We may not always agree or even get along, but we can all find a moment to be silly and sometimes we need that to get a smile on our face. That’s my honest belief and my intent with #SockItToMe, #00Bananas, and most of what I do on social media. Btw, people who have nothing good to say are reported and blocked, which includes people who comment on other people’s feet negatively, people who turn the good family nature of #SockItToMe into something unwholesome and sexual, and anyone in the mood to troll. 

The thing is that I haven’t gone about this in a proper way and have even fallen into sock spam in a certain way and for that I apologize. Some people have come to me because they’re freaked out by pictures of feet, think it’s a waste of time, or makes it harder for them to use social media in the way they wish to. For that, I’m fully to blame and I’m sorry. I should ask, but instead, I tag a ton of people and some of them haven’t been too keen on it, which is their right and my oversight. I also always try to tag people in threads that I think would get along or would make a good fit with each other but come this Thursday, I’m going to stop doing that because regardless of my intention, some people aren’t into it and I want this to be a positive thing in someone’s feed, not something annoying. I never want anyone to feel uncomfortable or irritated by anything I do. 

Simply put, anyone who knows me knows I love funky socks… but I also love collectibles, and mugs, and quirky t-shirts, and comics, and books, and CDs (ACTUAL CDs!!!) and artwork, and drawings, and I love sharing it with other people. I want people to share their goofiness and quirks as much as I want to share opinions about other things, but in other threads. This isn’t a thread to make some super deep philosophical assessment and it’s not a place to talk about our differences. It’s a place to be goofy, and smile, and remind yourself that not being serious is a wonderful and liberating thing. 

So come this Thursday, I’ll post a picture and pin it on Twitter… and if you want to join in, you respond to the picture. Feel free to tag people that would be into it, but on my behalf, I’m taking a break from doing that because more than mine, I want those goofy moment to be ours

So with that, a big hug, best wishes, and sock dreams. 

Peace, love, and maki rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment