Thursday, September 12, 2019

#Humans4TheBahamas

I’ve been meaning to post this for some time, but after Hurricane María, if I learned anything it’s that you want to make triply sure that whatever you support is the best option possible. I’ve asked openly for people to refer me to good local causes that will do their best to distribute aid, food, water, and supplies in the best manner possible and some people still choose the Red Cross and other large entities as their organizations of choice. After seeing what the Red Cross has done (or hasn’t done) in Haiti, Mexico, Africa and several other places, I do not feel comfortable donating. To me, it’s like the Susan G. Komen Foundation… the intentions are right, but I don’t like the things I’ve seen in regards to how they allocate funds.  Then I've seen how the American Cancer Society uses money in initiatives and I feel much more comfortable supporting them. It’s not to say it’s the perfect option, but if you see how the ACS funds research, helps patient cases, and even offers housing for patients undergoing treatment at their Hope Lodges, I see way more efforts being done right and having a positive impact. 

Seeing our Bahamian sisters and brothers going through the aftermath of Hurricane Dorian, of course I want to help and I think it’s all about timing with the relief efforts they need. The Bahamas are a large archipelago southeast of Florida and the midpoint between Puerto Rico and the mainland. It includes over 700 islands and cays and although most of the Bahamas were hit by Hurricane Dorian, the ones that were honestly decimated were Grand Bahama and Abaco. Abaco was basically wiped off the map and Grand Bahama looks like a giant tornado went across the island, which is what a hurricane technically is. These people withstood hell for 30 hours and I simply can’t even imagine what they went through and what they’ll need.

Seeing the response, at this time I’m putting my money on Chef José Andrés and his World Central Kitchen. Some people may argue he does this for profit because of the contracts he got from FEMA. Other people might not like how he criticized FEMA and the federal government in general. Some people may question his intentions with these efforts. I’ve read and am aware of all of these… but I saw how he helped people in Puerto Rico, I saw how hundreds and thousands of people were fed, and I saw how his presence injected hope into people… and at this time I think those are the two things that the Bahamas need the most, food and hope. Infrastructure will come later, supplies are needed but until I see people handling the distribution in a way that directly helps the population instead of wasting resources I'll keep looking. Seeing the situation in Puerto Rico, it took people to load private jets and go to where help was needed and then have people there to ensure people get what they need. Even then, people had to be onsite to make sure supplies got to where they had to. It’s a sad state of affairs but more than to ease my conscience, I want to help, and for now, this is the best option I’m finding. 

So for the next month, I’ll be taking any money I make off my books and donating to World Central Kitchen. I dropped the price to $1 on all eBooks and will also be matching each book sold up to $300. If you don’t think this is a worthy cause, that’s completely fine, though I do ask that you look for an option to help people out. Even with all the divisiveness we are seeing in so many places, I truly believe that we’re all in this together. 

So to my sisters and brothers from the Bahamas, sending much love and sending some help. If anyone knows of any efforts being conducted by individuals, feel free to write me via direct message on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook with any information you may want to share. I’ll also be looking into donation efforts here in Atlanta and share any information that may be useful to anyone who wants to help. Below is a screenshot from my first donation to get the ball rolling. It was $25 (plus covered processing feels) and of course I'll be donating more. If you'd like to bypass my books and donate straight to World Central Kitchen or another worthy cause, go for it. This isn't for me or my books, it's to show that the love my Island got when we needed help goes around to people who need help. Kindness is paid forward, never forgotten.

Much love. 

JD


No comments:

Post a Comment