Friday, June 12, 2020

June 15th - A Day to Say Cheers

If you follow me on any social media platform or have known me for some time, you have probably seen me post pictures of beer, wine, cocktails, tea, coffee, cake, or all sorts of things while saying #CheersMamaEstrada in tribute to my mother. This is something I began doing at the suggestion of a good friend and something I’ll continue doing for as long as I live because I believe in the power of positivity and wishing others well and yes, this applies even to those that are no longer with us on this physical plane and even during the highly volatile times we’re going through.  

I’m writing because Monday June 15th, 2020 will be the one-year anniversary of Mom’s passing and to celebrate her life, I’ll be doing a couple of things. Activities for the day will include calling my brothers and close family friends, the second attempt at baking a tres-leches cake, cracking open a bottle of sauvignon blanc, and having all my books for free. A lot of people wrote me for Mother’s Day concerned that it would be a hard day and although it was hard, it was no harder than Monday through Sunday. That’s because I miss Mom every day. I talk to her. I write to her. And I love having Mrs. Fawn visit my stories and people also enjoy her company. It’s easy to miss her and it’s not something I’ll ever get over because there’s nothing to get over. When you get over something, that means you needed to get past it and leave it in the past. Mom is with me every day and I’m proud to carry her within as my brothers do and as do all the people who loved her so much.

June 15 could be an easy day to make sad, to lower the volume, to talk in a whisper, or be low-key… but that wasn’t Mom. Mom was a sweetheart and magnificent company. She shared her unique light and love and I do my best to carry my reflection of her love in the words I share, the songs I write, the silly things I post, and the jokes I crack. June 15 is a day to celebrate the magnificent life of a magnificent woman who loved freely and beautifully. One of her greatest wishes was that more people would read my books, so here’s your chance to help a boy make his Mother proud. Download my books, tell your friends, and toast to your angels as well. If you can share online with a #CheersMamaEstrada I’d appreciate it more than you know or if you want to post a pic of a glass of wine, sangria, margaritas, tea, water, coffee, or your preferred beverage because on more than one occasion, those posts lifted her spirits and helped her in rough days. She would always chuckle knowing people might be getting a buzz in her name and deep within me, I know she still enjoys it. If you have a family member or friend you want to toast to, go for it. If you have a tear, shed it, though also smile for the gift of having those special people in your life.

 
I’ve talked about emotional alchemy before, which is basically using what we feel and channeling that energy to create. June 15th is Mom’s first anniversary and I will do everything to make it a joyous occasion, though I always welcome company. Cheers to you and to your loved ones and here’s to our angels, may we always make them smile come rain or shine. 

Peace, love, and #CheersMamaEstrada



4 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm so glad to discover your blog today. I saw a couple of my Facebook friends sharing #CheersMamaEstrada and curiosity took over me. This is such a beautiful way to honor and remember your mother! So #CheersMamaEstrada because I'll be reading your books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the follows and joining in to say cheers to Mom. I do my best to always celebrate her and this is just one of many ways. La amo y siempre la amaré. Actually based a recurring character in my works on her called Mrs. Fawn. Un abrazo and hope you like whatever books you picked up. Cheers

      Delete
  2. #CheersMamaEstrada! I'm a late to the party, but maybe it's never too late to say cheers. :-) What a lovely way to remember your mama! I'm sure she is smiling from all the love you are spreading around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dear friend. And it's never too late indeed. Have had more people send me pictures and will be posting as soon as work stops being so manic lol but always happy to celebrate Mom and spread the love as much as possible. Hard times we're living but feel the need to keep spreading the love :)

      Delete