Saturday, November 30, 2013

The write to a thankful weekend


Thanksgiving is treated as a one-day event when every day we should be giving thanks for the blessings we are given. By blessings, don’t feel the need to establish any religious connotations and go ahead and attribute it to hard work, good fortune or just dumb luck.

Being a writer could honestly be a lonely job, though for me, it’s opened the world to meet people from around the world. I’ve been able to connect to people in the US, England, Canada, Mexico, Spain, New Zealand, Australia, Pakistan, India, Romania, and beyond.

Throughout the beginning of my adventure, I’ve also been able to appreciate people I don’t know on a physical plane just as much as people who give me physical support and motivation. That said, as I wrote my Black Friday posts, I realized some people are way more special than they realize and I mentioned in passing two people who have made a huge difference in my 2013. The two people who have read and reviewed my book.

You see, to you they are just screen names... to me they have become friends. Linda Anderson and Amanda Armstrong are two very talented women, they’re separated by an ocean and thousands of miles yet are connected by a love I also share with them: writing.

Drastically different, each one has their own style, different personalities and different things that drive them, yet they were kind enough to review Only Human. I didn’t ask them to, they wanted to and that makes all the difference.

Linda Anderson was the second person to review my book and has a blog you can visit by clicking here

Out of what she writes, my favorites are a series of short stories, snap shots from reality that leave you wanting to know more. By all means, give her a check and so you know what she thinks of Only Human, here’s a transcript of her review:

“I enjoyed the story immensely, though I got lost in trying to remember the whole cast of characters and who belonged to which faction. Love Bill; he seems to hold many of the keys that would open the door to enlightenment of the story. And I can't wait to see what problems Nathaniel causes/gets into/solves...I loved it!!!”

For her part, Amanda Armstrong is the co-author of Ten Yen True, a book I reviewed some time ago which was truly a wonderful read. Her website can be found here and she is currently working on the sequel to the book and her review came at a time when I honestly needed a sign to confirm my path and one day before my birthday, she posted the first review to my book (under the screen name mandymia):

“I admit I was a little skeptical when I started this book. I don't read vampire books usually. But this is not a vampire book. It's an amazing fantasy read that I completely lost myself in. The characters are so engaging, I found myself willing them on and the plot is fast paced and gripping. I urge the author to write the sequel, quick! Loved it!”

Just a few words that made all the difference in my life, so to Linda and Amanda... thank you.

Many people have shared various reactions to my book and often it seems they don’t know what to expect until they’re surprised by something that hooks them. Quite honestly, I couldn’t ask for a better reaction. Because they kept their faith in the story and stuck with it until they didn’t want to let go and are luckily now urging me to write faster. 

As a nod of friendship to both the reviewers, I included them in my daydreams on the Sherbet Shore, Volume 3 and Volume 3.2. The reason behind the numbering is simple, I wanted them to be together and I’m also a numbers freak and am a big fan of certain numbers, in this case the number 8. If you see the volume numbers, 3 + 3 + 2 = 8. The .2 was my way of joining these two wonderful people in something I wrote. The number eight when divided by 2 is 4, also a very special number to me. Is this a little nuts? Sure. But so am I. :)

As I continue my daydreams, I continue connecting with people, allowing myself the chance to hang out with them if only in a dream. I rant a little and share these details so you see how my brain is wired and to invite you also to connect to others and help me connect with others as well. I also write this to continue giving thanks during the weekend.

So here’s to dreams and reality, may they coincide to share a meal, a drink, an ice cream sundae, a coffee or just a spot of tea.

Cheers my friends.

Peace, love and maki rolls.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment