Sunday, June 29, 2014

Style and glass


People with glasses are sexy. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying this because I wear glasses, I’m saying this because countless people become a spectacle by becoming bespectacled.

When some people find out they need eyewear, they become frustrated. They dread being called four eyes, bottle goggles, or even nerd. And this applies to men and women equally. They fear that glasses will make them look geeky, silly and even stupid.

They couldn’t be farther from the truth.

In my case, here’s a secret: the first girl I ever fell in love with had glasses in kindergarten (I know, I was a precocious romantic). As a kid I thought Martina Navratilova was beautiful in part because of her talent and because I was a sucker for glasses. As a teen I went gaga for Lisa Loeb and as a full-fledged man, I find Diane Keaton, Tina Fey and Ingrid Michaelson to be some of the most interesting and beautiful women in part because they know how to rock glasses.

And in men, it’s not different: David Tennant and Steve Jobs are just two men who can be next level when they wear glasses (seriously, try to remember Apple’s main man without glasses and it just feels incomplete). Still, I only need to mention one more person to prove my point... imagine Harry Potter without glasses. Daniel Radcliffe embraced his character so fully because he was able to become synonymous with his eyewear and I’m still weirded out when I see him without glasses.

So next time you think your glasses bring you down, pause long enough to clean the lenses and allow yourself to see that those glasses are actually pretty awesome.



No comments:

Post a Comment