Friday, June 5, 2015

The Maxwell Challenge

What some may call one of my hardest sales is what I call the Maxwell Challenge. Having a variety of genres and writing books, I’ve been fortunate enough to engage in some very fascinating conversations with some lovely people. Last year I had an awesome conversation with a like-minded reader that shared his views on religions, theologies and various concepts. It was rewarding because it allowed me to engage with that person on topics I don’t usually engage in.

For this year, I had the Maxwell Challenge. A very smart writer who came by my booth and engaged me in conversation for quite a long time. How long? Well it took a full water bottle to muscle through because by this time on Sunday, my voice was pretty shot and I needed all the help I could get. Still, it was an interesting experience because you could tell just how passionate he is about writing and reading. He browsed my book and carefully read it only slightly opening the paperback to not crease the spine. I found that lovely and curious because he wasn’t the only one. People who checked out my work were very careful with the spines and didn’t want to put damage on it, something I’m grateful for because it shows respect and appreciation for other people and the work.

Back to Maxwell though.

During our conversation, he shared his views on style, what he likes and what he perceived from my writing. It was a very interesting chat because I’d never gone that in depth in writing style and he read a bit and got a decent gauge on what the book is on. It was curious as well because as he read, he made remarks of breaking the 4th wall, dropping the mask, etc. He was fully looking at my work through his eyes and that was fascinating, until he shared a line that REALLY struck a chord (I’ll be paraphrasing):

“My writing is more visual… yours is kinetic. You want people to feel what you write whereas I want people to clearly and perfectly see what I’m describing.”

I really loved that line and it hit home because I definitely want people to feel what I write. I’m very kinetic and be it on purpose or a passing comment, I took it as a huge compliment because that’s the type of writing I love. I love feeling what I read. I love shivers down my spine. I love experiencing texture and sensations.

It was awesome to engage on such a writer level of conversation and I’m very grateful for his input and feedback and I’ll admit two things: 1. I’m curious as to what Maxwell thinks of my book and if it kept his attention. And 2. I wonder what his book will be like when he finally releases it. Here’s hoping I don’t have to hurry much for either.

Peace, love, and maki rolls.

2 comments:

  1. I imagine it was a conversation you will remember and cherish for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was Richard. Always interesting to engage people that way :D Thanks for the comment. Cheers

      Delete