Monday, July 6, 2015

Taking a stance Value 2: Free love

Since history continues to be made, I had to rewrite this post.


It is now legal for gay couples to get married.

And that’s a good thing.

I fully support equal treatment to any and everyone who happens to be human. In the case of marriage, here’s the thing; there is no logical argument I can find to be against gay people getting married.

Am I saying you have to love it?

No.

Am I asking you to be gay?

No.

Does gay marriage harm anyone?

No.

Is it bad for the economy?

No.

No one is being asked to even like people with a gay orientation. What is being asked is to respect their rights as a human and their desire to get married.

But let’s dig deeper. Let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Let’s talk about gay marriage… in the context of religion.

From what I learned as a child and what I hear from deeply religious people, God is generous and quite often kind. I have heard that God is all knowing and all wise. I have also been told that God is forgiving.

I believe all those things to be true… which is why I have a hard time grasping the concept that not only does God hate gay people, but that God loathes the concept of gay marriage… which can be referred to now as what it is… marriage, without the label.

As justification, people quote scripture to me and no doubt we may read a few of those quotes from someone who writes to voice their opinion and I welcome them.

My question then is: why all the anger?

And I’ll follow that up with another question: is someone’s orientation enough to curse them to hell?

I’ve heard people insist that homosexuality is unnatural, vile and against the nature of man and woman. Somehow though, I’ve seen texts that indicate that there have been gay people as far back as we can see in recorded history. Check under Ancient Greece and homosexuality and see what you find. By the way, I’m not saying it’s right or wrong. I’m saying it’s something that’s been around for a long time.

I’ve heard that homosexuality threatens the sanctity of marriage and once again, I fail to follow the logic. Based on that thought, I’d think it is the perfect opportunity for straight marriages to show gay people how it’s done.

Instead, we get fear and hate as a response. And by the way, might I add that it’s LOUD fear and hate at that.

Here’s the thing, although I admire conviction, volume and intensity have nothing to do with conviction. I just hear hate… blind hate at that. Which begs other questions:

Does God operate based on fear and hate?

Is God’s love suddenly conditional?

Is God’s love exclusive more so than inclusive?

I understand some people may be uncomfortable or even repulsed by the concept of homosexuality, bisexuality and transgender people and the prospect of them getting married. I don’t agree with such a sentiment, but I can understand it. As humans, we have impulse reactions which we can’t understand. Illogical fears that began lord knows when. A fear of mice, a fear of cockroaches, a fear of a number… and yes, a fear of homosexuality.

But guess what? We can overcome those fears, but it won’t be easy.

Do not be fooled by this landmark change. There is resistance, there will be resistance. It wasn’t a landslide win… this decision came about by one vote… one single swing vote that allowed millions of people to formalize their love.

But guess what? One vote was enough.

Is there resistance?

INTENSE resistance at that. But one vote in favor of love and understanding was able to conquer this challenge… and I think with a little love and understanding, we can conquer other topics that divide and distance rather than unite.

So here’s to union and all the ways it is expressed.

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Very well said, Jorge. -Rafael-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading, Rafael. Here's to free love and people enjoying AND expressing it without fear. Cheers

      Delete