Thursday, January 14, 2016

Here today…

Yesterday I found out a friend from high school was in the hospital and wasn’t doing well.

Today I found out she passed away.

I hadn’t heard from her in a while and truth-be-told we had history. Long story short, we went out when we were in high school and it ended up like most relationships that occur in high school… poorly. Fast forward a couple of years and thanks to her reaching out, we made amends and afterwards every time I saw her it was a very pleasant surprise.

Today’s news is of the other kind of surprise. The type that slaps you into reality and reminds you how very fragile we are. It shows you how real mortality is and that we would do ourselves an immense favor by being kind, burying any loose hatchets lying around, and enjoying life.

It’s also a very real reminder at how thankful I am to her for having reached out all those years ago. For asking me point blank if I hated her. For kindly listening to my most honest answer to such a hard question to be asked. For letting a man in his twenties pry open an old wound and saying what he felt. For talking to me and always remaining calm. For saying she understood. For not just saying she understood and actually understanding. For forgiving me the anger I am so capable of. For freeing me of carrying such a common burden as old heartbreak. For asking for forgiveness and accepting my apology. In short, for having learned much earlier than me to be a better human and for being one of the people whom I’m fortunate to have called friend in several different ways and who taught me so much about life and about myself.

Today I am yet again reminded of life and that while we are here today, we have no idea what will happen tomorrow and that such a fact shouldn’t scare us but inspire us to live. To remain alive is not a choice we have… but to live? That is most certainly a choice we are all invited to make the most off.

Godspeed

3 comments:

  1. Very true. I learmed this way too early in life, at 9 years old, when I lost my favorite uncle. I knew he was gravely ill as long as I was alive and knew he would die. But when my parents were at my bed in the morning to tell me it had happened I was heartbroken that they had not let me say goodbye that night. (we lived in the same building). From then on I vowed I never wanyed to feel that way ever again, and always made sure that people know how I feel about them. I make it a point to tell them often. Because our entire world can change in a matter of minutes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. I learmed this way too early in life, at 9 years old, when I lost my favorite uncle. I knew he was gravely ill as long as I was alive and knew he would die. But when my parents were at my bed in the morning to tell me it had happened I was heartbroken that they had not let me say goodbye that night. (we lived in the same building). From then on I vowed I never wanyed to feel that way ever again, and always made sure that people know how I feel about them. I make it a point to tell them often. Because our entire world can change in a matter of minutes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people spend a life holding back words of love. Dad and his illness reinforced what was already in me to tell people how I feel and never wait. Thank you for reading and for everything. Cheers, luv.

      Delete