Thursday, June 15, 2017

Book Lovers Tag

I recently read this tag on one of my favorite blogs, Lemon Shark (one of two blogs from the highly talented and doubly kind Sarah Brentyn). I’ve done countless tags on BookTube but now that I’m focused on getting back to blogging, I thought I’d give this one a go.

To read her post, click here.

Do you have a specific place for reading?
I honestly don’t. I try to make the most of any situation to get my read on, regardless of where that is. It could be in the park, the beach, in bed, or in the sofa. One of my fav places is the sofa (that is still in PR damn it!). That couch is perfect for lounging… as is a yellow chair (that is still in PR damn it!). I have also been known to get all pruney from reading for hours in the bathtub. I dunno, something about soaking in my own filth inspires me to read.

Bookmarks or random pieces of paper?
Both, I have my trusty (albeit not the most functional) magnetic Ravenclaw bookmark. I have used receipts, pieces of paper, business cards, Joker playing cards (long story), and anything that serves as a place holder. But NOT a fan of dog earing pages.

Can you just stop anywhere or must it be at the end of a chapter?
I hate not finishing a sentence, paragraph, and chapter. But with age comes reason and knowledge and I’ve realized that crawling to the end of a chapter with one eye closed means I’ll have to re-read, so I cut my losses and shut it down… at the end of the paragraph at least.

Do you eat or drink while reading?
At times I do and I really enjoy it. Beer, wine, tea, and some weird soda have all kept me company. As for food, preferably something that’s not finger staining, i.e. pretzels, grapes, or chocolate (chocolate stains, true, but it’s chocolate and there are dementors out there people).

Music or TV while reading?
Big fan of reading with music on. I’m listening to music most of the day and often times I range about 3-4 hours of music a day at least (probably more). Case in point, right now I’m listening to Ani Di Franco as I write this. I use music to enhance my reading and I recently finished American Gods and was listening to a lot of Soundgarden while reading it.

One book at a time or several?
I’ve known to do way too many at the same time and I’m focusing on single reads this year. Slower going, but I am enjoying it more and definitely offers me a better chance to absorb what I’m reading. That said, I’ve been known to read 12 books at a time. This was last year. So you see why I’m trying something different.

Do you prefer to read at home or elsewhere?
Whenever and wherever there is time. I love reading at home but read during lunch, waiting in line, in doctor’s appointments, etc.

Read out loud or silently?
If it’s a REALLY good line or passage, I read out loud. Poetry I often like to read about loud to really feel the line. For the most part, I do read silently.

Do you read ahead or skip pages?
I see no point in this. It’s like me offering myself a spoiler. What I do often is check how long I have to go in a section/part/chapter.

Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?
I used to be real anal about my books. Now I don’t mind them having wear and tear though will try and take care of them to offer them up for donation. I am not one to continue with clutter and I also got my library card, so woohoo!!! :D

Do you write in your books?
Only way to write in books is if I’m using them for research. Otherwise, pens have no place near my books :D

* * * *

Now to take a page out of my BookTube channel, I’m tagging the amazingly talented Larysia Woropay, the super kind Stephen Cleath, the incomparable Cate Evans, and the enchantingly articulate Eric Syrdal to do this tag :D

Peace, love, and maki rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment