Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Writer Wednesday: Anaïs Chartschenko



The world needs more poetry. That’s a personal assessment but a very true one, if you ask me. Some people might agree, stating that we need more beautiful words, or more pretty things… but if anything has become clear as I continue to read and write poetry, it is that poetry is much more than flowery words. It’s truth in verse form, life experience distilled through words that help us express and understand the unexpressable and the un-understandable. That’s part of the poetry I think we need, and Anaïs Chartschenko has every intention of writing the most brutally raw, honest, and beautiful poetry that she can. Hers are not “roses are red” poems. It’s not that she is not capable, it’s that she is driven by the pursuit of truth of essence through her words. She has three poetry collections, all intense, all meant for people who would rather face their fears than veil them in fluffy metaphors. She is also my friend and she was generous enough to answer a couple of questions so that you can also get to know her. 

1. So who is Anaïs Chartschenko and how does she embrace art? Btw, no need to speak in the third person, that was me being silly, which happens on this blog from time to time.

Who is this girl? Hmm. Good question. I think that is where art comes in, creating to figure out who, what, why, and what to do about it. Silliness I find incredibly valuable, because I enjoy making art that can get rather dark. If you can’t find a place where all the pain is absurd, keep looking. Someone wiser than me taught me you can’t live in darkness all the time, but when you go there be prepared to laugh in its face.


2. You have three poetry collections out that are pretty intense, can you tell us a bit about each title and the concept behind each?
 

Bright Needles is the first book I published. I wrote some of the poems when I was a teenager! When you are young, a lot of times others tell you how you should feel or respond to events. Bright Needles is my choosing to take control of my own narrative and reject the parts of other’s worldviews that were abhorrent to me. 



The Whisper Collector began as a project for NaNo Wrimo one year. I remember I won that year! 50,000 glorious words in one month… I hadn’t challenged myself that way much before, and it was a month of little sleep. TWC explores relationships-romantic, friendship, those weird in between gray relationships. Trust and lack of trust, and all the ways we can sabotage ourselves.



The Weightless One is a narrative poetry collection- a story told in poetry. It follows a teenage girl from the time she is admitted to an inpatient treatment facility for anorexia until she is released. Although the story is fiction, I based much of the book on my own experience. I utilized the meal plans and therapy charts from my own recovery. I wanted a story that felt real about anorexia, that focused on why more than the superficial desire to have a certain body. I read a lot of books that focused on the surface- thigh gaps and magazines- and what I want to convey with The Weightless One is that eating disorders are coping mechanisms. They aren’t good coping mechanisms, but once you understand that piece, I feel that it is easier to start building new ways of coping. I wrote the story I wanted to read.





3. As someone who also loves to read and write poetry, I’m always amazed at how deeply intense and raw your poetry is, how would you describe your creative process and what is your mindset to capture these true verses?

I usually have a phrase drift through my head and then I start writing. The phrase or scene might come from a dream, or just haunt me until I make sense of it. I made a decision pretty early on that I was not going to hold back- I want to live as honestly as possible. Life is too short to waste wearing masks.


4. When I listen to your music I think of Kate Bush, Diamanda Galas, and Tori Amos. Have any of these artists had an influence on you? How do you go about composing music and lyrics? What are some of your favorite songs to play? 


Kate Bush and Tori Amos have influenced me, but I must confess I am not familiar with Diamanda Galas. Coil and Leonard Cohen are two other influences. I could go on and on… Opera is a huge influence. I studied for 10 years with a vocal coach. Learning how to control my voice was huge. It opened new worlds.

I taught myself how to play the piano as a child, and I would use certain notes or patterns as a secret code. Everything I felt I could not talk about I hid in the piano. I played for hours.

Now, when I compose I am inspired by an aria, dreams, birds… I still just sit and play until something forms I like. Sometimes, a song will come out fully formed… I sit down and sing and play it and that’s that. But I think it is because my subconscious was writing it.



5. You have one of the most varied channels I’ve seen on YouTube, what’s some of what you do and why do you do it?


I’m curious about everything, and like most of what I discover.

- Gaming is what I started with. I enjoy wandering through worlds others imagined and built.

- Beauty Tutorials are just fun, and as I worked as a professional makeup artist, it was a natural extension.

- Toys… well… I like to play with Lego. It is relaxing.

- Music is something I do every day, so why not share?

- Tea time is also something I do every day, and tea time is definitely better with friends.

- Booktube is a natural fit, as a writer and reader. I love meeting fellow book lovers through Youtube!

- Author interviews are one of my favourite things! I get to ask the source for the story behind the story. I’ve been ecstatic with the amazing authors I’ve had the opportunity to talk with: Assaph Mehr, Joshua Robertson, Lilian Oake, YOU!



6. You are hired by magic folk to develop a new spell to help the world, what would that spell be and how would you cast it?


The spell would increase empathy. To perform it, one must grind the proper herbs with mortar and pestle, and then mix them into a ratio of ¾ tea to ¼ whiskey.

All of this would take time. The time would increase the magic, because it would cause people to have to think about what they will say, and how others will react to what they say during the tea time that will directly follow.



7. Can people get your books in physical form? Can you describe a bit about that process?



All three of my books are now available in ebook and paperback on Amazon.com and Createspace!

It has been a long journey. I consider formatting to be one of my greatest personal challenges. I’m just not that skilled! My beloved mother in law designed and formatted the ebook versions of my books. My good friend and fellow author, Assaph Mehr, designed the paperback versions. I am incredibly grateful to have such wonderful people help me with my writing journey.



8. If there was an Anaïs tea blend, what would it taste like and what medicinal properties would it have?

 
I would use a black tea base, and mix it with blackberries for antioxidants and sage (I’ve read that there is some evidence of sage improving cognition in Alzheimer's treatment, but I’m not an MD or anything…).
I want anything that improves brain function. THINK BRAIN THINK



9. If you had to share a daily mantra you practice, what would it be?
 
Every morning with my first cup of tea of the day, I do my vocal exercises. Studying opera gave me discipline I was spotty with before. When I skip it, I miss it.

It is very grounding, and completely changed me. I used to have anxiety attacks, and learning how to take deep diaphragmatic breaths was the key to stopping them. Plus, it is hilarious to sing scales until you sound like you inhaled balloons. It’s hard to take yourself serious when you see how silly you look in the mirror during a complicated run.



10. Where can people find you online and what’s next for Anaïs Chartschenko?
 

I am currently at work on my next novel. You can find me in many places:

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiw1y7_NUCoADdc5Xnn3whg

Twitter: https://twitter.com/anaisbelieve

Website: http://anaischartschenko.weebly.com/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15387157.Anais_Chartschenko

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/anaischartschenko/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Anais-Chartschenko/e/B00J4QSO7C/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1


* * * * 


My thanks to Anaïs for her time and her wonderful answers.  I highly recommend checking out her work and her social media channels. She offers wonderful varied videos and writing of all types that are well worth your time. Also, a special shout out to Assaph Mehr for his help in formatting Anaïs's physical books. He's also an author and his book, "Murder in Absentia" is on my TBR (Click here to go to his website). As for Anaïs, she also has a new live album out and you can find it by clicking here. I also want to thank her for accepting my invitation to be a part of Collaboration Nation, where I partner with fellow authors to craft a tale that is all about enjoying the written word and good company. If you're curious as to what we'll work on, read below and also know I have one pending Collaboration Nation to write with another fellow author, plus working on two full blown collabs, so expect much more news on this soon.

Collaboration Nation: this is an optional thing we can do if you’re interested. Daydreams on the Sherbet Shore Volume 10: The Musical Menagerie Mends Malaise. This would be a short story where we enlist the help of some animals that will help us calm the song of the Worry Wolves and grant everyone in the world one peaceful night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment