Thursday, March 5, 2020

Open letter to readers: Happy World Book Day and thanks for the difference you make


Hello, dear reader:

It’s so nice to catch up with you and just wanted to write to say hi and talk about a couple of things as we celebrate World Book Day. You see, as a writer, I always have something on my mind, whether it’s a lyric, a line for a poem, an idea for a short story, another creative idea like Blanc Comics, or a blog post. A lot of what I do is to connect with people like you although I also want to connect with different parts of my soul with each project I tackle. This leads to a lot of pondering and a LOT of notes that can be in a notebook, in a word document or note on my phone, in a napkin, or maybe just a scrap of paper that would have otherwise been recycled. 

So I got to thinking once again about the power one person has to make a positive impact and it continues to amaze me how often we are unaware of how much of a difference we make. When you underestimate others, that’s bad enough… but it’s curious how often we underestimate what we can do. What we may consider trivial or small is quite the opposite. 

As an indie author, I know how much effort I put into all the things I do, from efforts to raise money and awareness for causes, to blogs posts and social media content, to the words I put to paper to later publish and release onto the world. I also know the value of time and effort and what may seem trivial, I know how important it can be. I know how it feels to be surprised by someone who posted a written or video review of one of my books. I know how uplifting it can be to get a random message from a fellow author or a kind reader. I know the surprise I feel when someone finds something I made good enough to share. I’ve been choked up by letters and fan art kind readers bring to me at an event. I’m truly blessed in a myriad of ways and I want you to know, dear reader, I notice and I thank you. 
  



Being indie means I’m the one keeping tabs on things most of the time so my apologies if you’ve ever tagged or sent something that for whatever reason I didn’t respond to. It’d be weird, because I work hard to respond to every comment I get on any social media platform, but hey, we’re Only Human™. Still, I’ve also noticed how often people write me and say, “hey, I know it’s not much and it probably doesn’t matter but I did X or Y thing because of you.” Well, let me tell you, it means a LOT and it DOES matter. I’ve seen some people blinded by success to the point that they don’t appreciate gestures and for me, the appreciation so many people show makes a huge difference. When you come to my booth, you will get the best I have to offer, you will get chats, tips, and advice in whatever I can help because to me it’s always about connecting… so if you take from your time and you dedicate it to doing something to connect… with me? Well that’s huge. 


So thank you, dear reader. Thank you for picking up my books, for reading, for reviewing, for sharing pictures with my books, for tagging me in posts related to what I do, for tagging me in posts related to socks, tea, or bananas, for helping being the main reason I can celebrate World Book Day, for being kind, for being generous, and for fueling the fire even in days where energy and motivation are low. That “small thing” you did that you think “doesn’t matter”… that is worth more than you know and it invites me to keep pushing, to keep creating, to keep writing, to keep dancing beyond my comfort zone, to hone my craft, to get better, to do more to put my family name and the name of our Island in good light, to create something so unique that you’ll remember it for as long as you live, and to keep giving my best because if I receive the best, it’s irresponsible to give one ounce less.

So cheers and let’s keep in touch. 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

JD





No comments:

Post a Comment