Friday, June 26, 2020

To mask or not to mask, that is NOT the question…

Actually, that is NEVER the question. If you think about it, using a face mask and practicing social distancing are two of the most American and Christian things you can do right now… yet for some reason, people are protesting what are essentially health recommendations that are being followed around the world. As this is being written, more and more news updates are reporting spikes in COVID cases in states like Florida, Texas, and Georgia. Reopenings are postponed, bars will be reclosed, and we’re back to square 1… or maybe even square negative 1. It’s one thing to expect something… it’s another thing to see a worst case scenario play out. Mind you, that’s the US... many other countries have been able to flatten the curve and get proper results. Others are having or will have spikes soon because of their own mistakes, but in regards to being willfully reckless, the US is second to none.

So what’s the difference? Two things: leadership and cooperation, two things that are pretty misguided or full on absent lately. There are several dangerous tendencies picking up momentum and among them, it’s people who are completely against using face masks. Some say it violates their constitutional rights. Others say since they are not terrorists, they don’t need to use a face mask… as if there were a correlation. And the excuses and reasons pile on… all stoked by comments from the government that are plain irresponsible. People are now even laminating cards with a completely false statement stating they in fact are not required to use a face mask even going as far as forging government logos and inventing quotes of the American with Disabilities Act.

It’s hard not to get emotional writing this having spent the vast majority of time inside an apartment since March and doing my best to take all the necessary measures to ensure my safety as well as my wife’s and everyone else’s. When I go out, I use hand sanitizer/alcohol regularly, I wear a face mask, and I follow social distance guidelines. Do I wear a mask because I vote mostly democrat? No. Do I do wear a mask because my views are liberal? No. I wear a mask because I think of the health professionals who put their lives at risk every day. I wear a mask because there’s money for riot gear and Blue Angels flyovers to boost morale, but there’s no money for protective equipment for our healthcare professionals. I wear a mask because I know three people who have lost loved ones to COVID related complications. I wear a mask because a minor discomfort is a ridiculously small price to pay to minimize the risk for my fellow human. I wear a mask because I have family members with high risk conditions. I wear a mask because I’ve had the flu, I’ve had pneumonia, I have asthma, and I’m an at risk person for a condition that could wreak havoc on the respiratory system. 

How pride, nationalism, religion, or the constitution figure into why anyone would choose to NOT wear a mask is baffling. I’d say it’s frustrating, but I have the luxury to work from home and I don’t think I have the right to say it infuriates or frustrates because I don’t work in healthcare and am not an essential worker. I also don’t live in hospice and I’m not in the hospital. I don’t think I get to say I’m frustrated when healthcare professionals who have been stretched beyond the limit and broken by a broken system have to deal with the consequences of people who think it’s unconstitutional to wear a mask. Seeing people take a vacation from the pandemic for Memorial Day weekend was bad enough… having people justify their actions because well, if people can protest then who are they to comply with health recommendations takes it a step above.

On that point, let’s recognize the risk people put themselves for the protests against police brutality, but let’s also recognize how many people have used face masks and done their best to protest responsibly. I know it’s not everyone; I’m not saying it’s everyone, but I have enough people on my social media to see a decent number of people doing their best to protest while protecting their fellow human. Let’s also recognize that a protest against police brutality should in no way be used as a basis to justify someone’s “need” for a haircut or countless other things that aren’t necessary or remotely essential. 

The thing is that businesses are suffering and I get that people want to save their business… but what does it say when a business takes all the measures to protect their staff and customers and people waltz in without a mask, not caring about social distancing, and even failing to wash their hands? What does it say about people who mock others who do use face masks? What does it say about people when they purposely cough on other people just to make a point? What does it say when an establishment requires face masks to enter yet people say screw you, I have rights!

By the way, the washing of the hands comment comes from restaurant staff from several establishments who remark on patrons exhibiting this type of behavior. The comment about being mocked for wearing a mask comes from people I know who have been openly made fun of for wearing a face mask. And the coughing on other people? Well it's unfortunate how easy it is to find multiple examples of people doing this. 

Yet somehow, people continue thinking COVID is a hoax and that there’s a conspiracy. To make matters worse, top government officials compare the use of mask as an open show of dissent... that using a face mask is un-American. That using a face mask and practicing social distancing are not only overblown tendencies from the left, but that either behavior is worthy of scorn. This is happening because yet another topic has been politicized and it makes zero sense. How can anyone logically understand that people consider themselves patriotic or Christian by putting other people at risk. Emotions are running high as are frustration, tension, and panic… so why add to the negative? Why kick-off and act like a toddler throwing a tantrum, because that’s what it looks and sounds like. Religious beliefs, political stances, blind “patriotic” statements, and a whole lot of us versus them bullshit is being thrown around as a justification and a weak and baseless one at that because there is no logical argument to not use masks or practice social distancing. 

People call themselves American, Christian, and patriotic. Fine. Then how about they prove it? Too many people are currently batting .000 for the home team and things will get way worse before they get better until we work together and cooperate for the greater good. I normally try to end on a positive note, but in a post like this, it’d be sugar coating the situation. We are being invited to be our best and give our best and it's hard to understand why it’s so hard for some people to see that a face mask can save a life when it comes to a pandemic.

Where some see it as a sign of weakness, one could easily see it as a sign of solidarity. The questions are running: what will it take, how much will it cost, and how many people need to suffer or die before we decide to cooperate?

No comments:

Post a Comment