Sunday, May 14, 2023

Right turn: A #CheersMamaEstrada Post


I think about Mom often. Sometimes I wonder what she’d think of the world as it stands and the things that are happening. But if I’m honest, more often than not, I wonder what random bits of conversation we’d stumble into during our countless chats.

 

We talked so much and I continue to talk to her every single day. I’ve spoken about how I still write letters to her, letting her know about all the adventures I’ve been experiencing, and when it comes to my books, either the final proof or the first copy of each continues to be kept for her. If you’ve seen my socials, you see that I continue to say Cheers Mama Estrada at every opportunity and you should know that I toast to her and to our family every single time I raise a glass.

 

During this week, I’ve thought about Mom a lot and I remembered the time I spent with her at the hospital among countless other memories. Like many patients, she had her ups and downs. Throughout all of that, I did all I could to put a smile on her face and spend time with her.

 

I also remember when she took a turn for the worse.

 

I think about these days because the hospital had a chapel and I remembered how I always meant to go to pray for Mom. The funny thing is that as soon as I got to the hospital and literally came to the crossroads where I could turn left to go to the chapel or go right to go straight to Mom, I always turned right.

 

Always.

 

Consciously, subconsciously, out of instinct, or what have you, something pulled me that way.

 

Mom left me a treasure trove of love and memories and from her I learned that every second, every shared moment, and every bit of contact are all gifts. She left me riches to last a lifetime and I remember her in big moments as well as small ones. There’s magic in those small moments and I invite you to have as many of them as you can with the people you love. Be generous with your small talk. Be abundant with silly phone calls about trivial things. Find the magic in the every-day things you’d normally overlook, because when it comes to someone you love, nothing is trivial.

 

There are many angels that light our lives. If some have passed, it’s OK. Share a cup of coffee or tea with them. They’ll appreciate it. If they’re still around, look for any excuse to get in touch and talk about silly little things that will stay with you for the rest of your life. It'll always be the right call. Because when you add love to any recipe or experience, that’s when you begin to understand the beginnings of forever.

 

Peace, love, and Cheers Mama Estrada

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment