Saturday, August 16, 2014

5 Roles I would have loved to see Robin Williams play


Oh I do love making lists. Top 5s, Top 10s, Top 20s... you name the amount and I love making lists because I think through lists we can explore the realm of possibilities. The thing is that apart from typical Top 10 Lists... I love exploring new possibilities and inviting others to think.

Taking into account a previous post I shared this week, I have decided once again to not judge someone for their actions, but to celebrate the good they did and not ponder on other things. So let’s explore the world of possibilities and smile.

Robin Williams played a variety of roles I definitely enjoyed as a child and an adult. There was versatility and commitment and one would be hard pressed to ask, what roles didn’t he portray... I’ve come up with five I would have loved to see him play due to the challenge and his wonderful talent.

In no particular order, here’s the 5 roles I would have loved to see portrayed by him.


Zaphod Beeblebrox

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is one of my favorite series in fiction and in this series is Zaphod Beeblebrox... one of the funniest, craziest characters I’ve ever read. Although Sam Rockwell did a fantastic job, I still wonder... where could Robin have taken that role. The Guide invited you to take logic and cast it out the window and I think he would have been brilliant here. And with Zaphod, well you would have gotten a chance to see that two heads aren't necessarily better than one in the best possible way.


The Riddler

Maniacal, inventive and insane... many people are measured by their performance as a Batman villain for better (Jim Carrey, Danny DeVito, Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Aaron Eckhart, Tom Hardy and Heath Ledger) or for worse (Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tommy Lee Jones)... so imagine if you will, Robin, a bowler hat, his mischievous smile and a delicious riddle where someone's life hangs in the balance.


Puck/ Robin Goodfellow

Be it the Shakespearean version or Neil Gaiman’s interpretation of Robin Goodfellow... I would have loved to see Robin Williams in this role... it allows his Shakespearean side to be expressed through the trickster nature of Puck... a match made in heaven? Perhaps.


Merlin the Wizard

I think a movie made of Merlin would have been brilliant with Williams. That wit and sparkle in his eye would have been a perfect fit and he would have once again showed us what magic is all about.

And last but not least...


Willy Wonka



When I think of Gene Wilder’s brilliant portrayal of the candy maker, I remember that there was a tinge of sadness in his character and I’m still not sure if it was due to real life problems or his desire to portray Wonka in a way where you didn’t know where he was coming from... still, that sadness, that edge? I think of Robin and would have loved to see the madness he could have brought to that beloved character.



No comments:

Post a Comment