Thursday, January 17, 2019

Join us in saying #CheersMamaEstrada

Life has a way of giving you some amazing friends throughout your time on this world… so how lucky am I that I was born from one of my best friends? 


Today is the beautiful Mama Estrada’s birthday. 70 years young. 3 sons raised. 4 grandchildren. 8 fur babies that have gone through our home and now for the first time ever, a feline friend. She’s seen and done many things, lived in Cuba, Miami, Puerto Rico, and even Trinidad and Tobago. She’s also the best example of resilience, patience, and perseverance I know. If you’ve read this blog, follow me on social media, read my books, or just know me, you know I love my Mom to infinity and back.

I’m writing this because although I want to celebrate her, I want you all to know how much it means to her every time she sees a #CheersMamaEstrada to toast to her good health. Some people respond best to thoughts and prayers, but Mom responds better to people having a good time and toasting to her, with a smile, a cheeky inappropriate joke, and having a good time. If you get a bit tipsy, that's just a bonus for her.

When it comes to my writing, people have asked me where my inspiration comes from and a lot of what I write about is inspired by life in some point or another. When it comes to Mom, she is the inspiration for Mrs. Fawn a recurring character in the Human Cycle, the Daydreams on the Sherbet Shore, and most recently in Given to Fly. She was also a huge inspiration for my Spanish poetry collection, Pensando en Metáforas, where I poured my feelings out about a lot of my experience while she was getting treatment or undergoing surgery. 

I’ve learned a lot from her but one of the biggest things is that regardless of how tough things are, you always have the choice to smile… and trust me, life has put her resolve to the test. She has recently started her third round of chemo, but even with that and all the other things she’s had to face, she continues being true to herself. She has style, grace, cheek, and has often offered some of the best advice I’ve ever gotten… and it’s been because she offers it as my Mom AND as my friend, because she is both.

It’s taken 2 things for me to not talk to her every day. One was a category 5 hurricane that devastated my home and knocked out communications with Puerto Rico for months. The other one was when she went on a cruise two weeks ago. I don't mind the second reason that much :) Still, every day we talk 2 or 3 times a day and to me, it’s a soul supplement to talk with Mom and that’s been the case so often in my life that there’s no point in keeping count. I include her in my stories because although it’s easy to want to keep her for myself, I’d rather share a slice of her with the world. Too often, men feel shy about expressing love for their mom, but often there are guys who wear their hearts on their sleeve, regardless of what sport or profession they work in. I am of that second group and shall always feel completely at ease saying how much I love my Mom.

I share all the good vibes we receive for her and this is another chance for you to join in the fun. If you want to leave a message for Mama Estrada and maybe even say cheers, go to my Facebook Author page and share some love with my Mama.

Much love, and til next time.

Peace, Love, and Mama Estrada


No comments:

Post a Comment