Monday, April 6, 2020

NaPoWriMO #3: Words you can see

Here I’ll be catching up on #NaPoWriMo today, because why not? Today’s prompt was a bit more quirky, meaning that it’s a process rather than a theme. I usually write a poem’s title and go from there, though not always. I also often write parting from a topic, or a line, or a stray couple of verses I had in mind, but for NaPoWriMo, I’ll be mixing things up because I think that’s one of the beauties of poetry, you can definitely mix up your approach and try different things. 

So firstly, I’ll copy the prompt, then I’ll compile my ten-word list and then choose words that rhyme using RhymeZone. I’ll write my list later, original words first then rhymes in parenthesis. If it's bold, I used it. If it isn't, I left for another occasion.

Day 3 prompt: First, make a list of ten words. You can generate this list however you’d like – pull a book off the shelf and find ten words you like, name ten things you can see from where you’re sitting, etc. Now, for each word, use Rhymezone to identify two to four similar-sounding or rhyming words. For example, if my word is “salt,” my similar words might be “belt,” “silt,” “sailed,” and “sell-out.” Once you’ve assembled your complete list, work on writing a poem using your new “word bank.” You don’t have to use every word, of course, but try to play as much with sound as possible, repeating sounds and echoing back to others using your rhyming and similar words.


List (Things I can see from where I’m sitting, rhymes in parenthesis):
Cube (Tube, Group)
Mug (BugDrug)
Plant (Can’tchantrant)
Block (Flockknockfrock)
Wall (All, shall, squall)
Book (cook, rook, nook)
Pen (Den, glen, wren, ten yen)
Phone (bonecloneroam)
Picture (fissurelecturemixture)
Guitar (bazarbizarrelodestar)

Words that found each other

Knock-knock goes the flock wherever you roam
In search of a moment, one you can’t clone.
For ten yen from the men’s den 
The glen wren does sing a pen’s Zen.
The rook peers at the scene from his nook
Then goes back to reading his lyrical book.
He comes across a guitar’s picture
Whose structure results a bizarre mixture.
There’s a storm within that drives you against a wall
An inner hurricane, tornado, sleet storm, or squall.
Every single seed that ends up in a can’t
Came from an excuse we did readily plant.
Its fruit will grow to be a block
That might wear a uniform or a frock,
Or turn to the phone bone’s ring, our manual drug
The one buzzing itch we scratch that damned digital bug.
A group’s fissure mends from a lodestar’s chant
Before the lecture bazar does slip into rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment