Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Writer Wednesday: David Hernández

It’s not every day you read something that feels pretty different most of the way through, though that’s what happened when I read Outlanders Book 1: Malefactor. It’s a curious piece of fiction where there’s a novel, some sections that are fully illustrated, and sections where it’s the dialogue between two people who are observing the entire narrative or are involved with several parts of it. I’m not saying it’s the best novel I’ve ever read and I won’t say it couldn’t use a bit of polish. What I will say is that I’ve never read anything like it, the thought behind it is as unique as the author, and that it takes balls to take on a project like this. I can also say I really enjoyed it :D

 

In looking for my next interview, I realized that on the week where Go Indie Now has its premiere with the first ever All-Puerto Rican panel, I hadn’t interviewed David Hernández. So what better time than now to sit down for a chat?

 

Hey, David. So happy to have you on the blog. Although I’ve read you and we’ve chatted, readers here haven’t had the pleasure. So why not start off by telling us who you are and what you’ve worked on?

 

First and foremost, thank you for having me here! It's always a pleasure to talk to you. For all who are currently reading us, it's a joy for me to meet your acquaintance! I'm an independent writer from Aguadilla, Puerto Rico, who primarily worked on comic books but decided to take some of my self-published creator-owned characters and translate them into a different medium as best as possible. As you stated, Outlanders: Malefactor, The First Of The Fallen, is just the first volume in a trilogy. Currently, I'm working on the third and final volume of the aforementioned.

 

It’s a fascinating project indeed and definitely takes a varied skillset to tackle. Part of your background is with comics, which is way more challenging than most people give it credit. What are some of the biggest lessons you’ve learned from your background?

 

A lack of proper guidance will teach you what not to do in any given situation. That's been the case for most of my life. There was a time in the late '90s when I worked with some great talent, but we didn't have the tools to take our creative efforts to print to be published. Most of the printing companies on the island had never worked with a comic format before. Odd considering that comic books had been around here for decades. So, most of the print samples sat around on a shelf of my closet, gathering dust for years until a friend introduced us to an online company that printed comics on the go. A little over a decade later, those pages finally saw publication. Most people think that the hard part of creating a comic book is the creative process, and in my experience, it is not. It's marketing, promotion, distribution, etc. In our first year, the creative team and I traveled to every comic book, manga, or comic-related event on the island. By the second year, the list of events to promote and sell our titles was much shorter.

 

That happens and there are plenty of challenges all around and for all sorts of creators. Being from Puerto Rico, we’re often described as a cultural crossroads and your book definitely lands in the category of a crossroads of topics, genres, mediums, and styles? What are some of the influences behind Outlanders?

 

Malefactor, The First of The Fallen, is my first experience undertaking a work of this magnitude. When I first started to flesh out the story, I wanted two things: an origin for the antagonist and to create a whole universe that I could expand into other books. However, the creative process took a turn of its own. The intended protagonist, who was the book's main antagonist, took a backseat to make a more cohesive story. There is one thing that I always ask myself when I'm about to write something of my own or someone else's characters, what the purpose of this story is? Aside from the characters' traits and how the environment affects their decision-making process, there are quintessential aspects, such as the social hierarchy and the human condition, which are inherently found in every story. All the divisive nuances that humankind tends to turn into this massive brick wall are present there. Pettiness, cruelty, and hubris are traits belonging to imperfect characters, and yet throughout our history, we see them as part of deities that some people worship. I have a very unorthodox approach to writing; I wouldn't say I like to box myself into a specific genre. I am mindful enough to see that the story does not derail from its intended purpose, but I will not refrain from entering into a subgenre if it shakes up the story. For example, Malefactor, The First of The Fallen, is a supernatural book with a philosophical approach to it. However, there are some messed-up things that some may consider belonging to a horror story. If I were to describe it to you at gunpoint, I would say that it takes place in an alternative universe, and the pace of the story goes from philosophical, to tension, to horror, dark comedy, and circles back around to informative.

 

Wow, that’s a pretty deep answer, so how about a curious and potentially deep question. All your characters are in a chess tournament…who makes it to the finals and who wins?

 

Everything comes to an end. I have suffered enough loss to understand that no one is everlasting. Some characters have roles in other books, but that does not mean they will come out on top every time. The progress of the story dictates who stays and who goes. It's chaotically fun to figure the fates of characters as you write along.

 

Sheesh!! That’s intense though on point when it comes to the story. Actually, you also designed the artwork for Malefactor. How long did this project take and which part was more challenging?

 

I do not consider myself an artist; I drew the images out of necessity because I lacked the monetary resources to hire a professional. When you write comic books, you present the plot to the artist, and if you had worked enough time with whoever is drawing the book, you expect that person to carry most of the weight of the storytelling, seeing as it is, for the most part, a visual medium. When you get the artwork back, you work on your dialogue according to whatever is happening on the panel. One of the things you avoid is to describe what the artist already drew. The dialogue serves as a way to convey things that are not in the scene. Writers accustomed to this type of narrative often develop this handicap when it comes to descriptive writing. For me, at least, it was an uphill battle when it came to wording the scene in a tone that didn't feel monotonous.

 

Interesting perspective. Also, we often include a lot of who and how we are in our work. What parts of David made it into this work?

 

God, hopefully, none! (lol) I'm a goofball that often likes to make people smile, especially if they are not having such a great day. I will be the first to admit that there are nonsensical theories and whatnot in the back of one's head that surface once you enter the writing state. However, all my characters have traits of people I know. So there is very little of David in my books.

 

Hahaha, hey we write what we know. Also, there is a lot of philosophical questioning in this work. What influenced this and what have readers told you they’ve gotten from the work?

 

I think there is a general consensus that we are not living in the best environment, which is deeply rooted in how we have chosen to live our lives. Unbeknownst to us, at birth, some choices have already been taken for us before we take our first breath. Your creed and values are a result of your social environment. For some, it is not until you venture outside of those walls that you have access to a plethora of information that was unattainable before. Some stay firmly believing in what they have been indoctrinated to think— taking assertive action against those who dare to think otherwise. Others see the opportunity for a better way of living and are met with strong opposition from their social nucleus. 

 

The feedback I get changes from person to person. I wrote the book to be open to interpretation to invoke discussion among those who read it. Some see characters in a different light than others. Others merge characters as one, some miss clues that are crucial to link the identity of one character to another, and so on. I think it’s all fun. There is no wrong answer here—some who have re-read the book tell me that they always find something new and unexpected.

 

Huh, curious and might have to go for a re-read as well. Anywho, here’s a random Q for you. We all have our own version of breakfast of champions…but what would an OUTLANDERS Breakfast of Champions look and taste like?

 

LOL! It depends on what character you ask. I think Daystar will have an abundant feast of the most ridiculously extravagant delicacies from across the universe, eating only a handful and relishing on the look of starvation of her servants as the food inevitably rots. Depending on what state of mind the Traveler is in, he very well may eat from the most delicate fruit to a half-eaten candy bar found on the floor. Malefactor will have his very own breakfast place where he will pose as a busser, the waiter, the cook, and the unseen critter roaming through underneath the tables. All those characters’ portrait at once, just to see the behavior of each of the visiting patrons, and finally to see their reaction as each dies in a gloriously unique way. We will have death by ballooning up someone and having pancake batter flood out of his every orifice until they burst. Strips of bacon oinking while strangling someone. Malefactor will bring a bottle of Miss Butterworth to come to life and sit on someone's face drowning that poor fool in syrup, and so on.

 

HA!!! Now that’s not an answer I expected. Anyways, how’s book 2 coming along and what other projects are on the horizon for you?

 

It's been a slow process. In terms of storytelling, this time is contained to a single planet. Many things are happening that will connect at a single outcome. The characters’ backgrounds will be treated as unique individual story arcs; however, at some point, each character will cross paths with each other. This world is rich in terms of historical and cultural background. The vernacular used in this book, however, will be more straightforward. There's going to be a lot of action and intrigue in this one.

 

Can’t wait to have a chance to read it, my friend. So kind of you for stopping by the blog and now, all that’s left is to share where people can further connect with you, my friend.

 

Thanks for the opportunity!

 

Link for the book in Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VVW1BMY

 

 

You can find out more about my books @

www.facebook.com/DGHGBooks

Instagram @dghg_creations

 

There is a collector’s edition, not found anywhere else, The crate box. This includes a signed edition, a bookmark, a holographic sticker and a certificate of authenticity. You can inbox me at Facebook and Instagram.

 

A link to a short film "Outlanders: Malefactor, The First Of The Fallen" ©

Directed and edited by Carlos Mario Boscio.

Written by David G. Hernandez

Music by René G. Boscio

https://youtu.be/3iowDz90qf0

 

A book trailer in  video for the book

https://youtu.be/3JmUOQ_hlDc

 

You can also find me at

Instagram: @bmoviescenter]

 

****

And there you have it, dear frands. David’s a cool and I highly recommend giving him a follow to try and keep up with what he throws your way. Be prepared though, it’s an intense ride. Anyways, til next we chat and hang out in words.

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

 

JD


No comments:

Post a Comment