Thursday, February 6, 2014

Audible inspiration: Ani DiFranco


A true righteous babe to the bone, Ani DiFranco is not only a great singer and an epic lyricist, she also happens to be one of my favorite guitarists. As a music lover of many tastes, I’m not even sure how I came by Miss DiFranco in my life and simply know that the first time I listen it stuck and I needed to listen to as much of her as possible.

Witty, irreverent, rebellious, brutally honest, and melodic... wow her lyrics by themselves are a treat and I’d say she’s a female Dylan except I’d rather not compare her to anyone else. She plays, walks, strums and writes to her own beat. She’s influenced quite a few poems I’ve written and is often a choice when I want to strive from melancholic to quiet but forceful.

Many times I’m listening to Ani and pick up on a lyric I’d forgotten and have to stop what I’m doing and smile at her brilliance. With an ample vocabulary and true valor as a woman, she makes feminism sexy, attractive and empowering without being bitchy. Her career has been self made and her rules only obey one law, honesty to oneself... and as a writer that is definitely something I can agree with her on.

So by all means, take a stroll through DiFranco lane and please be sure to focus on all the elements of her music, because if not, you’ll miss out. She is proof of what one woman can achieve with a guitar and her soul.

Peace, love and maki rolls.

JD


No comments:

Post a Comment