Friday, February 7, 2014

Audible inspiration: Blind Melon


I was truly shattered when Shannon Hoon died, actually much more than when Kurt Cobain died. That has everything to do with my personal views on the way each died and the level to which I connected with each band. Sure, I loved Nirvana like the next grunge kid. The thing is that with Blind Melon I was exposed to some of the most beautiful writing this side of sunshine.

Shannon Hoon was a truly gifted guy who seemed like a ton of fun and reminded me of Elbow’s Guy Garvey in the sense that he wrote earnest lyrics about every day things you could relate to, except in a fashion all his own.

Seemingly ripped from the 60’s or 70’s, Blind Melon gave us two wonderful albums before Shannon passed and to this day I consistently listen to both for musicianship, beauty, fun and lyrics that still strike a chord with me.

You always got the impression Shannon wrote his lyrics in one go, maybe on a series of napkins before he forgot about what he was going to say. He seemed like such a fun guy and hey, I won’t judge anyone who thinks heaven is a party in a field with everyone dressed as a bee.

Even to this day, certain tracks can make me smile against my will. Though the deep thoughtful transcendental moments are also there. Sometimes psychedelic, their music was truly a wonderful medium to travel to places far and hidden while always keeping a Cheshire smile nearby.

Another deep influence in my writing, I was disappointed that Shannon died because after their album Soup, I couldn’t wait for what else they could come up with since as an encore, Soup is the better album and a true 90’s classic if not as popular as their debut.

Still, rain or shine, Mr. Hoon makes his presence felt in my writing and my characters. And yeah, I do like to watch puddles gather rain.

Peace, love and maki rolls.

JD


No comments:

Post a Comment