Monday, December 1, 2014

Beauty is universal NOT homogenous


Most women I know are convinced that there’s something from their body that needs “fixing”.

“My nose is too big.”

“I hate my hair.”

“I’m too fat.”

“My chin sticks out too much.”

“My hips lie even more than my ass, ugh.”

“My boobs are too <big/small>.”

These are things I’ve actually heard and I’m talking about just the tiniest sample of things women I know say about themselves. What’s most shocking is that these comments come from women that are beautiful. 

Do they look like Jennifer Aniston, Beyonce, J-Lo or Angelina Jolie?

NO.

And thank God for that.

Beauty is all around us and is not meant to be duplicated or emulated for that matter. Another fact is that women who say this are of all ages.

So why do I write this?

Because I’m a guy and some magazines insist that I’m a member of the pig faction of humans and that even if I’m a pig, there are thousands of ways to appeal to me and that women should appeal to me, no matter if I'm a pig. Hell I know we all love bacon, but accusing men of being misogynistic pigs and then convincing each other of how to appeal to said pigs is a bit contradictory.

You want to know how to appeal to real men? Be yourself. Embrace your brand of beauty and develop you own sense of beauty identity.

Here’s another secret: I’ve met beautiful women who are pale, black, Asian, busty, flat chested, skinny, plump, with glasses, with braces, with acne, with straight hair, with curly hair, with cancer, with multiple sclerosis, with lots of money, with lots of debt, who are girly, who are sophisticated, who are tomboys, who are gay, who have a boyfriend, who have been single for years, who are virgins, who are promiscuous, who are religious, who are atheist, who are conservative, who are liberals and anything else you can think of.

That’s because we can all be beautiful, if only we pay more attention to our own signature of beauty and less attention to what is sold to us as the current trend of beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment