Thursday, July 5, 2018

#Humans4PuertoRico - Helping Puerto Rico in Yabucoa

Greetings kind readers! If you’re here, it means you read the title of the post and would like to help someone in Puerto Rico. I’ve been asked a LOT about how we can help people back on the Island and for some months I’ve been drawing a blank because many foundations either finished what they set out to do or have made questionable use of money donated. It’s a sad thing to say, but unfortunately it’s true. I said I’d only further share a cause I trust and that’s why I’m writing.

Unlike other foundations or efforts, I know who is in charge of this effort, which is why I’m paying it forwards. I’m using the #Humans4PuertoRico hashtag not because I’m the organizer of this cause but in the hopes it makes it easier for me to share efforts I support because I know the people organizing it.

On this occasion, someone I worked with when I was back in Puerto Rico is carrying out efforts to help the municipality of Yabucoa, one of the hardest hit by Hurricane MarĂ­a itself and its aftermath. They are requesting school materials for kids between the ages of 5-17, including the following:
  • Crayons
  • Magic Markers
  • Notebooks
  • Pencils
  • Erasers
  • Pens
  • Construction Paper
  • Loose Leaf Paper
  • White Paper
  • Pencil cases
  • Lunchboxes
  • Other school materials


I have the contact of where to send these materials, but since this is personal information I do not wish to post publicly. If you are interested in sending materials, go to my author pageon Facebook and send me a list of the materials you will be contributing and the sending address so I can notify the organizer and put you guys in contact.

About the organizer: ZB is someone whom I worked with for 7 years. She was always an extremely responsible peer and was always awesome to work with. Beyond her work ethic, she has always proved she’s a standup human and one of the most generous and hard-working people I’ve ever met. This is not someone I’ve heard about or heard from another person. This is someone I know and trust, which is why I’m sharing this post and looking to help in any way I can. Puerto Rico is not just the metro area and a lot of people still need a lot of help.

Important information: ALL materials must be received by August 2 to organize and distribute for the start of class on August 13. Btw, 8/13 is my birthday and unlike other years, if you want to get me something for my birthday, help these people out. Sure I’d love book sales, reviews, socks, bananas, and tea, but I’d rather know kids on the Island are smiling and starting their school year right instead of a book sale. Also, if you’re an author and would like to donate copies of your books, send me a message with amount of copies you’re willing to send. Once I have a tally, I’ll inform the organizer to see if it’s cool to send them along.

Peace, love, and maki rolls.


JD

No comments:

Post a Comment