Friday, January 1, 2021

2021 – A Second Wind

It’s curious, every year at the beginning of the year I write a post summing up the prior year and what I expect to do in the new year. I also have a feeling, a word, a phrase or mantra I take on to help me focus…Last year? I wasn’t able to write that beginning of the year post. Not in January, not in June, never. As in, I was just not able to. I couldn’t see clearly what I wanted to do or how I wanted to go about it…2019 hit me on several levels and in several areas and it was just hard to focus and find any firm ground to stand on…and then came that little thing about the virus that screwed up the world in 2020.   

So yeah, last year was a bunch of things, a lot of randomness, and who knows if that inability to focus was a projection of what we would experience collectively during the year that expressed itself as static in my inner sonar. Fortunately, although 2020 was a dumpster fire for a lot of people, I was extremely fortunate to keep my job, not have a pay cut, and work from home. Quite a trifecta of blessings as well as staying healthy throughout the year as I also learned to navigate these odd waters. 

 

Now we’re beginning a new year and unlike 2020, I have a clear vision of a LOT of things I want to do, retake, begin, and finish. I feel motivated, more optimistic than I had been for several months, and focused. It’s been a while since I felt that way and I’m going to run with it, hence the title of this post – A Second Wind. I’ll continue to work from home and take any and all precautions I can to ensure me and my peeps are well and stay healthy. 

 

As for goals, there are a couple of things in the pipeline but rather than list a long list in a specific order, I’ll mention the categories and push to be my best and show how many things I can accomplish. I won’t set a specific number and just go for it all around.

 

1. Writing – I’ve had a hard time publishing many works the last two years. 2021 will be the polar opposite. I have several projects in process including short story collections, poetry collections, and novels. It’s going to be a busy year, I’m choosing my first targets for those projects and will push hard to start tackling full projects rather than just chipping away at the block. 

 

2. Interviews – last year was a lot of fun to do Creative Connections and this year I shall continue that trend, because I think we all have a lot to offer and people are looking for fellow authors, editors, photographers, designers, audiobook producers, and beyond, and if this humble little blog can serve as a bridge, then why not?

 

3. Music – one of my outlets last year was music and I even wrote and recorded videos for new songs (you can check these out by clicking here). Expect more of this…and more music related adventures.

 

4. Supporting Go Indie Now – For years I’ve been reviewing indie music and participating in several live shows, panels, interviews on Go Indie Now. This trend shall continue because Joe Compton is family, I believe in him and his work, and am always happy to shine light on musicians, books, and other indie offerings that depend on word of mouth to succeed. So this is my invitation for you to check out Go Indie Now and the back catalogue of videos related to all things indie. Drop comments on the videos and if there is indie music you’d like me to review, comment on the channel and let your voice be heard.

 

5. Collections, magazines, interviews featuring yours truly. The last two years I’ve been able to have short stories included in collections from Puerto Rican and Hispanic authors. It’s been an honor to be featured in No Cierres los Ojos 2 and now in Proyecto Cthulu. My goal is to continue this trend, see what collections draw my attention and go for it, whether it’s in English or Spanish. 


 

6. Más español – although this blog is predominantly in English, expect more Spanish offerings here, in my books, and on my BookTube/AuthorTube channel :D

 

7. Supporting good causes – Last year I was able to make donations to the Puerto Rico Food Bank, the Atlanta Community Food Bank, World Central Kitchen, Breast Cancer Research, One Fair Wage, the EB Research Partnership, and a couple of other private causes of friends that needed help. This year, I’ll continue my support although I will do it much more focused on specific causes per quarter. So starting for the first quarter, I’ll be supporting the Puerto Rico Food Bank again (Banco de Alimentos de Puerto Rico). Expect efforts from here until March 31st and more information later for events for the rest of the year. 

 


8. Reading – Once again I’ve set my goal for 44 books in the new year. I achieved this goal for 2020 and reviewed every single book in at least 2 websites, and often in up to 5 places because it’s important to spread the word. I’ll always keep it honest though, because that is essential in everything I do. 

  


9. Social media – I’ll keep enjoying myself and having fun, though this year I’ll try and be more vocal in regards to asking for help and support, something I rarely do. Social media is an illusion in regards to progress/success, but it can have an amazing impact. I’m on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube and with a little support, I can make a better impact with whatever success I have. 

 

10. Enjoying myself more. If you’re not having fun, then what are you doing? I’ll continue having as much fun as possible and hopefully you can join in. 

 

As always, thanks for reading and for spending some of your valuable time sharing words with your friendly neighborhood JD Estrada. Here’s to a good year, to doing our best, giving our best, taking care of each other, dropping egos, and elevating others, because I think that’s a way better alternative. 

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

 

JD

2 comments:

  1. Excited for what's to come! Keep inspiring, mi amigo. Looking forward to those short story books. I'm midway your poetry collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, gotta keep people (and myself guessing). Tú también sigue inspirando, motivando e inventado, amiga. Espero que ande gustando la colección y un fuerte abrazo :D

      Delete