Thursday, March 18, 2021

Creative Connections: Amy Dionne AKA Heart of Autumn

Life never ceases to amaze in regards to the amazing people we meet and the ones that become our friends. I’ve known Amy Dionne for years and beyond the great human she is, I’ve always been impressed with her creative talents, especially when it comes to knitting, quilting, embroidering, and all things handcraft related. Since these times are definitely intense AND challenging, I’m a big supporter of anything that can help people to process all they’re living and experiencing, and I recently learned about her new initiative, The Anxiety and Mood Quilt – a year long process (https://heartofautumn.com/the-anxiety-and-mood-quilt-a-year-long-process/). To tell us more about this initiative and no doubt clarify that the title is a work in progress, here’s miss Dionne.  


1. Welcome, welcome to the blog and so lovely to have you here, my dear friend. How’s it going and before we dive into deep pools of randomness, what can you tell us about your initiative?

I’ve been fascinated by the modern quilt movement, and most recently with quilters creating ‘temperature quilts’ - tracking temperature over the period of a year and interpreting that in a quilt form. I watched a webinar and knew that I wanted to do something along those lines, something that would completely engage me over a year. It was my husband that suggested exploring the mental health aspect and tracking anxiety patterns over a year. As soon as he said it, that idea clicked.


2. What a curious term-modern quilt movement. Super interesting about tracking temperature and I think what you suggest is tracking emotional temperatures, if you will. So how can people join in with you and what can they expect from the process?

On my blog is a page dedicated to the quilt, with the story behind it and clarity about how mental health and creativity are part of the driving force behind the project. I’ll be posting updates regularly and pictures of each month’s progress as I go.

3. You’ve also done several other handcrafts and have even sold more than a couple of things via Etsy, am I right? If so, how was that experience and how would you describe your artistic approach?

I’ll be completely honest, although I enjoy having people admire and purchase my work, I’d consider my Etsy shop (and the craft shows I did in person) basically duds. I couldn’t dedicate the time and energy needed to produce the amount of product that would have been necessary for success. I also had no time for creative play since every item I did create needed to be sale worthy. I didn’t experiment with my craft, nor was I able to allow room for growth. As the shop became a continuing drain on my energy, I decided to shut it down.

4. Sometimes shutting something down is good for us and that's something people need to come to terms with a little more. As for it being a "dud", maybe it didn't get the sales some other shops did, sure. That doesn't mean it was a dud because on a couple of occasions I saw pieces I thought were fantastic. Still, I think we can safely say you're not a one-trick pony since you also ride horses, write, and are handy with archery among other things? How do all your interests feed into your art and creative process?

There’s always a whimsical or fantastical aspect to my creations. I connect with nature deeply and  those images show up in my quilts. Life is lyrical and I try to bring that to life with my art.

 



5. You were actually the reason I tried mead! If you made a Heart of Autumn mead, what would it taste like?

Oh, what a great question. My tastes now run more to a dry mead, but it would definitely have tones of apple and oak.

6. Beyond the quilting, what other projects are underway and what is the importance of having more than one outlet?

I have a couple of embroidery projects that are stashed near my recliner to pull out and work on while watching TV. It brings me closer to my family history since most of the women embroidered. I have a quilt project coming up to take muslin squares of the state birds that my great aunts, etc., embroidered and make them into a quilt.

I also have stories in progress (primarily a post apocalyptic one, a paranormal romance, and a fantasy), along with writing poetry and articles for a local magazine, and articles for the Maine statewide quilt guild.

I think it is important to have more than one outlet creatively because each project feeds the next. I also find the projects, and life, intertwine with one another for renewal of the soul and heart.


7. You are actually the duchess of your own estate in Ireland, am I right? Can you tell us about this and if you had 5 laws to start off the town, what would they be?

It’s actually Scotland, but yes, I am officially Lady Dionne. It was a gift from my husband - he purchased the land for me and along with that came the title. We won’t mention that the town would have to be miniature to fit in the one square meter of land, but it counts in my book!

I’m not big on laws, per se, but my two biggest directives would be - respect for the land and all her creatures, and contribution to the community.


8. Hey, land is land and you have your own land lol. And to obeying those directives in full, then. Next slice of randomness: How would you describe your relationship with nature and how does it bring you peace and influence you?

Being pagan, nature is a huge part of my life. I believe the earth, its elements, and all her creatures are connected. Nature is usually represented in my art and in my writing. I believe part of my life's journey is protecting nature and teaching others about all aspects of life and its turning of the wheel.

9. Beyond lobsters, what are some things local to Maine you are proud to share with visitors?

Ah, yes, lobsters and lighthouses. We’re definitely known for that, and I do love the coast. There’s a huge section of Maine that isn’t coastal, and I grew up in ‘the county’ as it’s known, which is a region at the top of the state rich in the history of potato farming. The other side of my family lives in the shadow of Mt. Katahdin and Baxter State Park. The landscapes and changing seasons are why I love Maine. We also have some great craft brews here, so cheers to that.

10. Although I'm happy to see the change of seasons, man, am I NOT a fan of winter lol. Weather gripes aside, let's say a hobbit shows up at your doorstep and says they need your help. What do you take for the journey?

A good pair of boots, my hiking pack (which is always fully stocked and ready to go), a leather journal to record the journey, a hooded cloak - with pockets!, and my bow and arrows. Plus a wee hip flask, of course.

11. Lol so those hips don't lie takes a WHOLE new meaning. Thanks so much for this and now, all that’s left is to roll out the burgundy carpet and let people know where they can connect with you?

Find me at heartofautumn.com which has all the info about my quilting, and Twitter/Facebook/Pinterest - @heartofautumn. If you’re on Instagram, I’m @kaileykit there.

* * * *

And there you have it, my friends. Another creative connection and happy to share a great friend with you who is doing a great little project I think could help you and any knit loving person you may know. As usual, thanks for the company and til next we connect...

Peace, love, and maki rolls

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me here, JD. I'm honored to share a piece of my crafting journey with you and your readers. Love and hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My absolute pleasure, m'dear. There's plenty of love for you and yours and do think it'd be something great for a lot of people to join in :D

      Delete