Sunday, May 9, 2021

The Beauty of Tradition

For several years now, I’ve made a point to publish a book for Mother’s Day. This isn’t to say I didn’t get Mom something for Mother’s Day, don’t think I’m that kind of guy :) I always did my best to get her something she’d enjoy, though the book promise was for her as well as for me. Mom is someone that shall always be an important light shining in my life. Before she did it keeping us company in physical form, and now she shines from above as from within all of those who love her.
  

It’s easy to miss someone you love, especially someone that was such a basic component of my day-to-day. When she was alive, I would call her in the morning and in the afternoon and sometimes for lunch. We kept each other updated of what was going on and to me it was a pleasure, never a burden. Some people resent “having to call” a family member. Granted, not everyone has the easiest relationship, which goes to show how blessed I was and am. Not calling her felt as if something was missing in my day and it took a Category 5 hurricane for us not to be in touch for a couple of days. 

 

That’s what I wish for you. Not the hurricane tearing down communications anywhere, but the ease with which I found it to keep in touch with Mom. Before taking off on a flight I would call and say I love you. When I arrived, I would call to let her know we’d touched down safe and the same with a lot of important people in my life. While driving to work, I would always talk to her and see what was up and we both knew each other well enough to know when something was up and we were silly enough not to say it in the first place. 

 

I feel her often and miss her just as much, and sure, it hurts. Of course it does. Still, I see how very fortunate I have been and continue to be. How many blessings come into my life and I can’t help but know she’s giving me a helping hand any way she can. When she passed, my brothers and I took turns sharing with the loved ones present what we felt for her and watch she meant and means to us. For me, I said that we had two options of being selfish. We could say that a part of us had died with her, or we could say that a part of her lived with us. I chose and shall always choose the second option.

 

For this Mother’s day, I chose to publish a poetry collection about happiness, joy, hope, and kindness be it for others or yourself. It’s an odd time we’re living and I wanted to do a small part in offering words to remind that it’s completely in us to seek out joy and happy moments, instead of anchoring onto worry, frustration, and despair. Things happen. Sometimes for a reason and sometimes just because. Other times, some things happen because we will them to happen. 

 

For today, I published a book, wrote Mom a letter telling her all about the latest adventure, and am writing this blog post. The Captain has also put some wine to chill to toast to her, because she always joins me in toasting to her and all our loved ones. It is our choice to do so, and also another lovely tradition we maintain. 

 

To everyone who has joined me in toasting to Mom. Thank you. 

 

To everyone who has picked up a copy of Ballads of Hope and Joy. Thank you.

 

To everyone who is celebrating their Mothers today. Thank you.

 

To all the Mothers who give their all for their children. Thank you.

 

To hope and joy, love and family, words that bring us together, and love that lives on. 

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls.




No comments:

Post a Comment