Sunday, January 21, 2024

Me, Myself, and Mine


Wanting success is normal. Sure, some people may sabotage themselves in various ways, but that doesn’t mean they don’t want to succeed. It might mean that they’re afraid of success, but deep down, they want to make it.

 

However, defining success in your terms is a bit trickier.

 

It’s always curious to see people who say they want to have as much success as another author or they want to be the next [insert name of wildly successful author]. It reminds me a bit of how we sometimes have to pitch our books:

“It’s like a more accessible American Gods with elements of Tolkien, Chronicles of Narnia, and tons of Easter eggs.”

That’s how I sell Only Human, because it gives a frame of reference that makes it easy for many people to understand. But I can’t say I want to have the same success as Neil Gaiman. Sure, one of the highest compliments I’ve ever received is to be compared in some way to him. Still, I want my books to be mine, even if I use his works as a frame of reference to sell a copy, and I want my success to be completely, unequivocally, and absolutely mine.

 

For starters, it’s impossible to have the same success as another person in the same way that it’s impossible for two people to be exactly identical in every way, shape, and form. But beyond that, it’s very possible that people are afraid to craft their own definition of success because it puts all accountability on them. If you didn’t have the same success as King, Gaiman, Rowling, Allende, or Tolkien, that’s fine, because you’re not them.

 

But think about it: is it easier to say you want to be as successful as Stephen King or is it easier to create your dream scenario, with real goals and pipe dreams that put you in the driver's seat? And I make a point to dream real AND dream big. Dream about being able to pay your monthly bills and also dream about an art installation inspired by your books. Dream about getting your books in libraries and dream about being part of a curriculum in a state or country. Dream about receiving fan art and dream about film, TV, and video game adaptations of your works.

 

Some would say:

“It's impossible!”

 

To which we could counter with a simple:

Why is it so impossible?

 

Here's JD’s definition of success: Having a seven-figure income that comes from multiple streams and gives me the means to carry out all the projects I feel passionate about while also supporting causes I believe in. That I’m able to fully commit my energy to writing, giving workshops, playing music, and collaborating with artists across disciplines to promote the value and power of creativity. That my work helps inspire future writers and creators and that I’m offered opportunities to collaborate with people of all ages as well. That I can craft merch that is fun, sustainable, and supports good causes. That I can have meaningful projects that create jobs for people. That my works get adapted into live-action and animated films and series and that I am able to contribute as a producer to pay crews fair wages across the board. That I can help create memorable video games that stick with people for the rest of their lives. That I can encourage Spanish-speaking people to read in English and English-speaking people to read in Spanish. That my work helps shine a positive light on Puerto Rico and gets people interested in getting to know the Island and our culture better. That my work offers opportunity for organic diversity and responsible representation. That my efforts can support other countries and islands in the Caribbean because although I’m Puerto Rican, I’ll always want the best for my neighbors. That I can have enough recognition as a musician to be invited to collaborate with other musicians. That I can make some money off my food reviews to encourage people to try new things so we can all discover new things to enjoy. That I am able to develop writing workshops combined with physical activity to promote wellness and knowledge. That my work in some way inspires people to pick up a bodyboard. That I have enough success and recognition to get invited across the world to meet all my writer friends.

 

I’m sure that if I keep thinking, I can come up with more things to add to my definition, but that’s a pretty robust, long, and ballsy list. I didn’t shy away from saying the money I’d like to make though I wasn’t specific. I do have a number in my mind but with inflation and the world doing what it does, I just want the means to do more of what I love and that instead of juggling work with writing and other passions, that I can live off and thrive from those creative efforts exclusively.

 

By putting it out there, I run the risk of being ridiculed or people telling me to bring it down a couple of notches…and they can keep those opinions. This is my definition of success. Will I edit it? Will I add to it or take anything off? Who knows? All I know is that I read that paragraph and every single one of those goals resonates. And that’s good enough for me. Do I need to get organized and do a ton of things? Of course, but that’s just part of the adventure.

 

Now let’s switch roles. How about you define your success? Take your time with it and know that the definition can change but let yourself dream. You don’t have to share your definition, but you can, if you want to. Leave it as a comment if you like, or put it in a notebook, on your vision board, or whatever. The decision of what you do with that definition is up to you, as well as what you include in it.

 

Here’s to conquering the world and smiling while we’re at it.

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment