Sunday, March 10, 2019

Favorite Vs. Best


When it comes to who I am as a writer, I shall always want to be the best writer I can be. That means always pushing myself to write something no one else can write, always being honest to my vision as a creator, always pushing myself to have a cohesive thread through all narratives, and ALWAYS being able to surprise in some way or another.

But when it comes to my readers, suddenly the word “best” comes up short and I would much rather be their favorite than the best they’ve ever read. There are a lot of books out there and plenty that are better than mine, and that’s fine and dandy. But I want to be the author of a book that means something to someone. I want every time my book covers come into view that a smile comes across the person’s face. Honestly, there are two compliments that NEVER get old, and they both have to do with being worthy of being read more than once:

- Being re-read - 

- Enjoying my writing enough to pick up another book -

I have 13 books out so that’s a lot of reading… but I do have people who are eager to see what else I release and what new slice of random I embrace. I know a couple who have read everything I’ve released… and that’s flabbergasting but encouraging as hell. For me, it’s all about embracing our creative side and using what life gives us to pay it forward in some artistic way. Being a multi-genre author, I’m also interested in connecting with all aspects of me as a human and as a writer. That’s why I shift from urban fantasy, to middle-grade fantasy, to short stories, to poetry, to non-fiction, and yes, there's more to come. Everything I write responds to a desire within me to connect and quite often to have a positive impact with my writing.

I look at it this way. Think about the best movie you’ve ever seen. I’m talking a movie whose script is amazing, whose acting enthralled you, whose score moved your soul, and that was in the running for an Academy Award for Best Picture. Now think about your favorite movie. Odds are high that your favorite is nowhere near the best movie you’ve seen when you break things down. For me, I’ve made it no secret that my favorite movie is Big Trouble in Little China. I’ve seen that movie sooo much in my life and although I love it to the end of time, I’m the first one to say it’s not the best movie out there… but I love it and that’s the movie I watch when I feel sick and need a pick me up. It’s the movie that pumps me up, that makes me smile, and laugh, and whose dialogue I still quote to this day. I want to be your Big Trouble in Little China. I want to write books that you pick up a second and third time and always find something new. Sure there’s a typo here and there, but you enjoy it so much that overlooking flaws is no biggie. 

I don’t want an Oscar. I don’t want a Golden Globe. I don’t want a Nobel Prize in Literature. I want my books to be more than something you tell someone you read to impress them. I write so that my stories are embedded in your psyche and you find yourself remembering a character because of the randomest thing… and that such a little moment makes you smile. Because that smile is a piece of your heart resonating with mine and that’s worth more than any damn award. 

So to all who read and enjoy… thank you. From the bottom of my heart… because in your hands is a piece of me that becomes ours the moment you start to read. I hope we meet again soon. 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment