Sunday, August 29, 2021

JD Estrada’s 18th release - Rhymes from the Wicked Nursery

 

My 17th release was a positive poetry collection for Mother’s Day. So obviously what better follow up than a creepy collection of 80 original nursery rhymes?

Rhymes from the Wicked Nursery is an exercise in dark cheekiness where happily ever afters are nowhere to be found, replaced by untimely deaths, creepy characters, and dark vibes the Addams Family would approve of. In short, it’s meant to give you nightmares in the best possible way.

 

As for the inspiration, a while back I was in a reading slump and in usual fashion, I decided to tackle said slump by reading something different, namely nursery rhymes. As I read a couple of collections, I couldn’t help but notice how dark some of them were and how fun it was to read them out loud…so of course I started to write a couple for fun…and a couple brought a couple more, and like a gremlin who has just been sprinkled with water, well, the poems multiplied until I had a collection on my hands. 

 

I was asked if I released the Rhymes from the Wicked Nursery by design and the fact is I didn’t. That’s just how things played out and I’ve been truly following where inspiration leads me this year and the projects I truly feel a fire to write. That I have the kindest and meanest rhymes I’ve ever written released back-to-back is just one of those fun details on my writer journey. 

 

Oh and there is a bonus in the collection, apart from some sample poetry in case readers need something lighter or are curious of other types of poetry I write, I did include a creepy short story from an upcoming horror collection, because why not? It’s called Hush Little Baby and focuses on the danger found within silence. That collection is still underway…as are several other projects but enjoy that little tidbit to see what you think of me writing in horror. So stay tuned, dear reader. Who knows what else I have in store for your bookshelf in the coming months? Til next time…

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment