Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Investing in kindness

Every day people are appalled by what they see in the news. A new horrible story about a shooting, the economy, Ebola, fear, panic, famine, destruction and countless other things. The news often becomes this maelstrom of negativity and it’s easy to get swept up in it and think that you can’t do anything about anything.

I just helped a woman with three grocery bags. I was walking past the store and I see her clearly struggling and I ask if she needs help and she gasps, “yes please.” I help her with three bags. This took very little effort on my behalf and it was something Herculean on her behalf.

She thanks me generously and mentions a news story from yesterday where a family was gunned down in cold blood. She says, “Yesterday showed that senseless things unfortunately happen in this country. I’ve been struggling with these groceries for about ten minutes. Men who are twice your size, didn’t look twice at me. I swear maybe twenty people or more passed and no one offered any help. But still, here you are to prove to me that there are still kind people. Thank you for the reminder and God bless you.”

I helped a lady with three bags and I honestly don’t deserve the kindness she has given me with her words. Still, I appreciate them, I cherish them and I wanted to share them with anyone who chances on this blog to invite you to be the best possible reminder you can be and to not pass up one single opportunity to help people out.

There is good news out there waiting to be written.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great reminder that there is good people. I am trying to be one of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to do what I can, Biljana. I'm sure you do brilliantly :D Cheers

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful to know that there are still real men with real hearts in this old world. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet friend, just trying to do my best to keep it oldschool in the best way possible. Thanks for reading and commenting. :D

      Delete