Friday, November 14, 2014

Method to Madness: Those thieving words


Sometimes in the search for the perfect description, we fall prey to using more words than we might have needed to. 

Make no mistake, lush descriptions are amazing and as a writer, I love giving an accurate picture of the worlds within my mind. But if poetry has taught me anything, it’s that sometimes you need a little less words to get a lot more emotion.

Here are three reasons of why this is:

  1. You give the reader the power to create and describe. Some of the best stories I’ve read ask me to fill in some blanks to make the story in my mind. This engages the reader making the story that much more active for them.
  2. Tighter writing. When your story dominates the words on the page rather than long descriptions, it makes it that much harder for a reader to let go of your story.
  3. Your style will flow better and your instinct will take over, dictating when to go hog wild with a description and when to play coy.

As humans, we all communicate and you don’t need to be a writer to know the power of words when you’re communicating a story OR a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment