Sunday, January 5, 2020

2019 Report Card


A lot of people start off a New Year by saying stuff like, “New Year, New Me.” This type of message comes from a good place or at least a good intention of wanting to be better, do better, and focus on the good. For the last several years, the first blog post I write in a year has been my report card for the previous year where I go over all my goals and how I did with them because I see the value of looking back, seeing what I achieved, and how I did overall. I like that tradition, so here’s to keeping it up.

Another reason of why I do the report card is because it also gives me a sense of accountability. Of course I want to do better than the last year, whatever that truly means since there’s a lot to take into account in regards to what was planned and what the year threw at me… and 2019 definitely did not hold back any punches. There will be new things to go for this year, count on that… but this is still me. Not the good ole me. Not the same me. Just me on my path, evolving the best I can, committing mistakes, having successes, surprising myself, overcoming failures and disappointments, finding plenty of smiles along the way, learning as much as I can, and focusing on the path ahead. 

If this is your first time to this blog, what I do is copy and paste the goals I’d written in January of last year and comment on each part and how I did. I also give an overall assessment and dig a little deeper where I think it’s worth to explore. I don’t sugarcoat things, I do my best to own up to my mistakes, and I also do my best to recognize the victories I had, because too often we focus on the bad and forget the good. 

Last year had a lot of things happen, most notably the passing of my Mother in June. It happened near the halfway mark of 2019 but definitely shaped a lot of what happened and what I did. I traveled to Puerto Rico to be with her and give my best to her and my family. It was a hard time, but one that beyond the grief of losing a loved one, brought good things. Communication, unity, selflessness, generosity, kindness, support. Those are one word blurbs of the amazing things I was able to see while going through some of the hardest experiences in my life. Mom shall always be a pivotal part of my life because so much of who I am comes from what I learned, what she nurtured, and how free she allowed me to be in defining who and how I am. She always criticized my report cards, saying I was too harsh on myself and that I should have given myself a higher grade. But to me, I always keep it honest. If I got a B, it was a reflection of the effort I put in combined with the results I obtained. Still, let’s go over last year’s goals before seeing what my grade was.


Publishing Goals

1.Book 3 of the Human Cycle. This has been an intense write and it’s taking longer because a lot of things have changed in the development of the plot. The Human Cycle hits home deeper and more personally than probably anything else I’ll write in my life and it is shaped by what I live… so naturally, there’s a lot going into this book and it took a long while for things to settle so I could see and feel the plot clearer. 

2. Collaboration with UK author Cate Evans. This project took a small break because of what I was going through but also what Cate is going through. She’s an amazing friend through and through, someone whom I hold in the highest esteem, and as she finishes her cancer treatment, we’re both plotting for the next steps in this project. First things first though. To health and then to plotting. 

3. Daydreams Vol 2. – Wasn’t able to finish this one either… but finally getting to a point where I can freely go back into the world of Draem. 

4. Blanc Comics in book form – I was able to publish Tricks and Ladders and Raining Dead in book form. Very little movement in regards to sales, but they’re in physical form. We’ll see what I can do to get this project to the next level. 

5. Philosophy coffee table book – I love the artist responsible for the other part of this book like he was a brother, because he is a life brother… and he has a deadline of April of this year. :) 


Writing Goals

1. Poetry. I did continue writing and working on several collections and the second half of this year will bring news… and books? We’ll have to wait and see. 

2. More consistent blog writing. I wrote in the blog but this took a backseat with everything that happened last year. 

3. Story arc for 3 series. I worked on these story arcs a bit, but decided against investing too much time in this, because concentrating was quite the challenge. 

4. Historical paranormal fantasy story. Didn’t work on this and will put this in the queue after I finish other projects. 

5. Concepts for Spanish fantasy middle grade books. Still working on those Spanish books, but they’ll get done eventually lol. This is the part of the list where I chuckle at my over ambition. 

6. Contemporary comedy set within the advertising industry. Ideas have continued and it’s interesting what’s developing. VERY different from what you’ve read from me so far. But hey, if you know me, you know I’m far from a one trick pony. 

7. A special project with mom. Life has other plans and I began another project. Will do more in tribute to Mom and will also be doing more things in life to channel her spirit. 

8. My Noir Novel. Did I mention something about over ambition?

9. Greek mythology project. Read above; rinse & repeat. Lol. 

10. More songs. Actually have worked on several but the real progress will come this year… stay tuned. 

11. Book Events. I was able to participate in 2 of the 3 events I wanted. Jordan Con was a no go for 2019 but maybe 2020 is the year? We’ll see. Did participate in the Atlanta Comic Con and Puerto Rico Comic Con, which I’ve written about. I also tried to get in contact with Barnes and Noble in at least 3 ways, got the runaround and the cold shoulder, oh well. Wasn’t in the mindset to contact the other bookstores but it’s a new year. 


Other Goals

Get more reviews. I got some… but can always use more. A LOT more. 

Website… I shall stop making promises in the hopes I make progress lol. 

Be on the best of year list of at least 10 people. Didn’t get on this list. No idea how to get on any sort of list. Help will be happily accepted. 

Get nominated for something lol. Any help will also be accepted for this one. :D 

Estrada Crates. Sold a couple but didn’t make the 12. We’ll see how I do this year but feel free to contact me to find out more about Estrada Crates or order your very own. 

Humans 4 Humans. I did organize my activities, but among all the efforts, one came from a very honest, very organic place and became one of the highlights of my years. #BooksForMiles feels to me like it was a great success. I didn’t tally the total miles for everyone, but Brad Womack did run/walk/jog over 100 miles to win his very own Estrada Crate and at least 8 people participated. Will organize the second Books For Miles later in the year when people need a boost for the resolutions they are so keen on attacking with fervor in January :)

Release electronic music EP. Have the tracks but still think I can improve them, hence me not releasing them. Let’s see when I can have some news on this. 

Record and release music. Didn’t release anything… but hey, it’s a new year ;)

Social Media. I do feel I was more organized, consistent, and did take a couple of breaks during the year. Will be doing more of this. 

All in all, it was a very busy year, there were hits, there were misses, there were challenges… as in everywhere: in work, in health, in family, in book events and sales, etc. But we got past it. We made it through.

When I was a kid or just younger and I flunked a test, mom always asked me, could I have done better? Could I have done anything else? Could I have tried harder. It was her way of letting me know that there’s always more to give… though when it comes to last year, I sincerely believe I gave it my absolute all… for her, for my family, and for myself. So Mom, it took me a while, but I made the grade… and I’m just getting started. 


Peace, love, and maki rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment