Saturday, January 11, 2020

Humans 4 Puerto Rico – Earthquakes on the Island


So if you’ve seen the news, depending on where you are, maybe you’ve seen that our Island has had a series of earthquakes during this past week starting on January 6 and continuing until today. The strongest shock so far has been 6.4 off the South coast off the town of Guánica. 

Although 6.4 is not as high as some other high profile earthquakes like the ones in Chile, Japan, India, or Mexico, they have caused significant damage and unfortunately PR isn't well equipped to deal with earthquakes. This means people have lost their homes and that entire communities are being displaced. The main affected areas are on the Southern part of the Island. This includes towns like Lajas, Guánica, Yauco, Guayanilla, Peñuelas, and Ponce (map pictured).

I'm doing my best to offer any updates and information but for something much more official, feel free to follow David Begnaud, who once again is doing a topnotch job of covering the situation and getting hard to find people to answer hard to answer questions. 

The quakes have been felt throughout the Island and it’s been that way all week and they’re still ongoing. So this means there are two types of efforts: the ones that will respond to basic needs right now (water, shelter, food, medical equipment/first aid, etc.) The other will be for the aftermath, where people will be affected for a long time. If this were an isolated case, this would be enough, but people are actually still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Maria. So people need help and will need help for the foreseeable future. 

With that, I’m letting you know that any royalties or money I make off my books and other creator and author related events and efforts shall go to help the people back home

This means, that if you buy a digital or physical book off Amazon, any money I make will go to help people. If you buy an Estrada Crate, I will take any money I make off the books and use to help local efforts that help my sisters and brothers on the Island. If you want to cut away the middle man and donate directly to any of the causes I'm supporting, take a screenshot, share it on social media with the hashtags #Humans4PuertoRico and #PuertoRicoEarthquakes, and I'll send you an ebook. 

After a couple of days, I’ve been able to identify some local efforts that are making and will continue to make an impact. What does this mean? I have contact information of individuals who are making local grassroots efforts to take aid directly to people. I am not referring people to most organizations, foundations, or any government officials because I saw what happened after Hurricane Maria. If I recommend a cause or effort, it’s because I’ve seen the work and know the people. Period. I will share personal information of one effort and have the information of other people whom I trust but will not disclose publicly for safety reasons. I shall offer an explanation of who each group is but if you have more questions, use the wonderful comment section down below and I’ll address any question you have or contact me privately via social media on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Now for the efforts:


Tito is best known as the front man of a Puerto Rican band called Fiel a la Vega but beyond that, he’s a standup guy and there’s no nonsense where he is concerned. He’s helping out and going directly to communities and sharing receipts and being pretty transparent in how he’s using the money they receive. He is accepting donations via ATH Movil or Paypal. If you donate either way, use the message “donación al Sur”. It is a very committed group of people who don't want or care for the limelight. They just want to help. 

ATH Movil: 787-409-5190

Paypal: wmorciglio@gmail.com

For the Facebook page with written and video updates, receipts, and information, visit www.facebook.com/TitoAugerCantautor/


I know Zaida personally and worked with her for over 7 years at a previous job. She is a selfless person and I was able to collaborate with her after Hurricane Maria for #Humans4PuertoRico efforts. Here’s the blogpost where I show pictures of what other people’s generosity was able to achieve. https://jdestradawriter.blogspot.com/2018/12/humans4humans-yabucoa-edition.html

She is looking for materials to help people cope with anxiety. This includes: coloring books, sketch notebooks, pencils, coloring pencils, crayons, or any other materials to create. This is to offer people of all ages an outlet and to help cope with anxiety. Unfortunately, mental health is something that will need to be addressed all around. I have her personal information and do require you to contact me personally to share this information to send her materials or donations directly. For her first effort, she’s picking up materials until January 17 to deliver them on Sunday January 19, but I suspect this will be the first of a few. 

Students from Colegio San Ignacio de Loyola, Class of ‘98

Several of my high school classmates are making efforts to go directly to affected communities. These are guys I grew up with, people who went above the call after Hurricane Maria, and people I know personally and trust. I have their personal phones for direct donations as well as paypal information but will look for more means of support. The motto of our high school is "men at the service of everyone", and I'm proud to know them and see them putting this into practice yet again. Here are some of the pictures from the efforts they’ve done on their own between yesterday and today.






Imagine you going to a local Costco or Wal-Mart and taking everything directly to people. That's what we're talking about here. 


Another good friend of mine is Juan Carlos Baez, and he shared the Arte Al Rescate effort, where ALL proceeds from artwork sold will go to help people in Puerto Rico. 

He had this message to share: “Please consider buying some of the artwork created by my students and students from Puerto Rico and New York. All proceeds will be used to help the people of Puerto Rico as they deal with the recent earthquakes.”

Here’s the link: https://www.artealrescate.org.


Lastly, there’s World Central Kitchen. WCK has demonstrated commitment to helping communities in need and I saw their work after Hurricane Maria and am seeing what they’re doing right now. I know some people have a beef with Chef José Andrés but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s the only org of which I’ve heard of from people from different areas where they have offered meals, so they still get my vote and support. 

If you have other places to donate, by all means, go ahead. It’s a time where a lot of people feel the need to help. For me, these are the ones I’m supporting because I have either seen them in action or know the people involved on a personal level. I shall not relay people to government run centers. Instead, I want to put energy, money, and effort where I see a positive impact and supplies get to where they have to get. I know these people. I trust these people. I won’t get a tax return and I don’t want one. Fear happens and it is natural to worry, though in the end, fear, anxiety, and worry are all energy… and I’m doing my best to use what I feel to have a positive impact. I just want to help and I think I’m not the only one. Thanks for reading and my best to you all.

Peace, love, and maki rolls.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment