Sunday, January 19, 2020

The Healing Power of Music


Ever since I was a teen, I’ve found a lot of comfort in music. When I was feeling something I couldn’t fully understand, there was some artist or band that took that sensation and created something that helped me say “that… that is what I’m feeling.” Artists like Pearl Jam, Blind Melon, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, Soda Stereo, Tori Amos, Sting, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, and countless others were there for me when words failed me and I couldn’t express what life was throwing my way. 

Music is magical that way. It’s also as healing as it is unifying because that song that means the world to you can also mean the world to someone else. 

There are plenty of songs that have helped me overcome a lot of things and these change depending on the point in my life we're talking about and what I was facing at the time. After Mom’s passing, I decided to make a playlist in her memory and chose 17 songs that mean something to me and have helped me during these months. She was born on a 17th, hence the 17 tracks. I’m sharing this because although it already has songs, I’m sure a lot of people have songs that have helped them through tough times and I want to open this list to others so people can recommend tracks to include here. Feel free to leave a comment here or contact me wherever it's more convenient to give a listen and add to the list. 

So consider this an invitation to listen to this playlist as much as an invitation for you to share songs that have helped you during times of sadness and grief. Songs that have brought light your way and that either express what you feel or give you comfort. Right now it's my list... but the idea is for it to be our list. Who knows? It might help us all out when we least expect it.

Thanks for reading and listening and til the next time we connect though words.

Peace, love, and Loud Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment