Friday, July 2, 2021

Careful with ambassadors of Scama-Lama-Ding-Dong

If my snarky pictures seem somewhat familiar, it’s because I’m imitating ads that truly make my blood boil. 

Guaranteed results

Proven methods

SUCCESS

TRUST ME!!!!!

 

Well this is the flip side of those messages to tell you to hold your horses, take a deep breath, do some digging, and make sure whatever money you give to someone is an investment. The ads I’m making fun of are relentless and this post is to explain why I feel the way I do even without taking these courses.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don’t want to mention the ads because if I do A. they get free publicity, which they don’t need, and B. website cookies and algorithms will work so I see the advertising even more frequently. When I do a book version including this post, I’ll gladly mention the name because the web can’t track words on paper…or so I hope. Back to the post. 



So I’ve seen these ads over and over and over and one day, morbid curiosity said CLICK IT. So I did. I did a quick check of the page and you know when something smells off in a restaurant or a supermarket? Well this smelled like sewage. Again, I haven’t taken the course so maybe it’s AWESOME, but I wouldn’t bet money on it. Here are a few reasons.

 

1. Click baity language. The ads and language are ALL designed to target indie authors new and old who are hungry to improve their sales numbers. Just a quick overview of their page you see that there’s a lot of flashy talk, but very little substance.

 

2. NO mention of name. The person in the pictures speaks in the first person…yet I couldn’t find their name on the site. Not in the about section. Not in the contact. Nowhere. If that doesn’t stink to high heaven, I don’t know what does.

 

3. A LOT of what I read on that home page was not unique…Dare I say, it was ordinary. As in painfully so. If that’s what I have as an indicator of the content within, then trust me, you can learn a hell of a lot more from fellow indies who give advice for FREE than paying for this seminar.

 


I’m writing this post as an indie who does have moments of struggle, where sales don’t always happen, where reviews are hard to come by, and as someone who gets a TON of junk mail and disingenuous approaches from people who want to scam me for reviews, edits, proofreading, formatting, and proven approaches to get more sales. I’m writing this because I know other indies who have paid hard earned money for services that were a bust or a full on scam and yes, you deserve better, damn it. I’ve gotten emails from people offering unlimited reviews for the cool sum of $800-$1,200 dollars. I wish I were making that up. Also, the range of price is taking into account the variety of “businesses” that have contacted me since it’s been more than one attempt to get me to shell out cash for reviews.

 


If you want to take a writer course, ask people you trust. If you’re starting out and aren’t sure, ask around, do some digging, be nosy, be inquisitive, don’t take half answers as an answer and by all means, suspect that most people want to shaft you just to get money from you. When I give advice, I don’t say THE 5 things you need to do, I say 5 things you COULD do because what works for me doesn’t necessarily work for you and this could be for a variety of reasons. If you’ve been at the writing business a while and continue to struggle, please, don’t cave in to quick fixes and questionable courses. You deserve better. I know it sucks. I know it’s frustrating. Still, don’t make an impulsive decision just because someone’s advertising was slightly convincing. Many are not worth the time or money and the truth is that there are a TON of free resources online and courses for every budget. 

 

Think about it, if someone has PROVEN methods, they shouldn’t have much to hide yet many of these websites are sketchy at best. In regards to reviews, read the fine print. Many companies offer that service but only post on Goodreads. That’s because Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other companies track and monitor reviews and if something seems fishy, which these reviews ARE, they take them down. Goodreads isn’t the same since it’s technically a social media platform, and even though Amazon owns Goodreads, they don’t monitor that (they also don’t care about that platform much and it shows). 



As for editors/proofreaders/formatters, check to see who they’ve published. If possible, try and check to see if the author has social media presence and an author page. There is no end to the tactics people will use to try and get your money, always remember this. 

Are there good people out there? TONS.

 

Are there legit services to invest in? Of course. Ask me and I’ll tell you and show you things they’ve worked on. If not me, ask people you trust, but get references. Don’t trust a shady ad. 

 

Why?

 

Because there are people out there that don’t care about your goals, your dreams, or your desire to be read. They only know that pain, frustration, and desperation are good for business…their business. And you deserve better. 

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

2 comments:

  1. JD Estrada this is article is a gem. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU so much for reading and commenting. A LOT of people want to get money out of us and have little to no values. un abrazo and keep on writing ;)

      Delete