Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Writer Wednesday: J.P. McLean

Greetings fellow humans and welcome to another Writer Wednesday interview. Today we’re going to be chatting with J.P. McLean about her Gift Legacy Series, which seems like the perfect gift for anyone who wants something light to start reading in the fantasy genre. Something I always enjoy with Writer Wednesday interviews is exploring different genres and inviting people to expand their horizons and empower their TBRs rather than limiting themselves to one or two genres and only the most popular authors. There’s a wealth of stories out there so let’s get cracking and talk about what shall possibly your next favorite read.  

 

1. Hey, J.P. Thanks so much for swinging by the blog to join us for a bit of book talk and written “chin-wagging” lol. How’s everything with you and what can you tell us about yourself?

 

I’m well, thanks. Got my vaccine jab, so I’m champing at the bit to kick this pandemic to the curb. The parties will be epic! I’m also looking forward to writerly things—like most authors, I’ve missed being able to attend book events and hang out in person with other writers and book enthusiasts (no offence, Zoom).

 

A little about me? I write full time from my home on Denman Island. It’s one of the northern Gulf islands off the British Columbia coast in Canada. It’s a small, rural island with 1,200 people and just 20 sq mi/50 sq km in area. We’re ferry-bound, so living here isn’t for everyone, but I find it a perfect environment for writing.

 

I wasn’t born with a pen in my hand, but I’ve always had stories in my head. I just didn’t know how much fun I’d have writing them down until one rainy winter when I found myself with time on my hands. It’s been ten years now and I can’t imagine my life without writing.

 

2. You, me, and a whole bunch of people are chomping to get back to a better way of life. I also think the parties will be epic, though also think we’ll have that Gollum period before we readjust and groom properly. My last book event was in 2019, we’re due lol. As for where you live, WOW. It’s like your LIFE is a writer’s retreat. So your work has been described as “fantasy light”, which I think is a pretty curious way to phrase it. How would you describe your books? What other series could people compare to? And what would you like to achieve with this series?

 

The fantasy light description came from early readers, many of whom were friends or friends of friends, who didn’t normally read fantasy. They had the perception that fantasy was Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. They were unaware that the genre had much more variety. My books were the gateway drug and now they’re hooked on the genre.

 

Some of my favourite fantasy series are set in current times: Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse books, Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files, some of Deborah Harkness’ All Souls Trilogy. I enjoy the immediacy of these books. Because I’m already familiar with the setting, it’s effortless to fall into the story and let myself get pulled along by my curiosity and my fascination with the magical elements.

 

That’s what I wanted to replicate in my writing. The Gift Legacy series is about a secret society of people who can fly. It’s set in the Pacific Northwest in contemporary times and is infused with familiar landmarks. The books centre around Emelynn Taylor, a young woman who doesn’t know she can fly until she falls from the sky.

 

3. I also love the concept of flying and this definitely sounds like my jam. You have had success and recognition with your short stories and your novel work. What appeals of each format and what challenges do you find in one that you don’t in the other? 

 

Long-form novels appeal to the part of me that loves sub-plots and a deep dive into characters, their motivations, and their interactions. There’s room in a novel-length book to explore all of that. The short story is more of a challenge for me. There’s room for only one plotline and one to three characters at the most. For me, writing a short story feels like I’m writing with one hand tied behind my back.

 

4. Curious way to see it. I think a short story is more like a single joke, whereas a novel can be a standup routine. Different challenges, but always fun. It seems you’ve also well known for your work with supernatural thrillers. As someone who writes in multiple genres, I always enjoy learning what fellow writers find inspiring and am curious as to what has drawn you to the genres you’ve written in so far and what else you’d like to explore. 

 

From a young age, I was drawn to the supernatural and all things magical. I think it’s because I’ve always secretly wished I could fly. Sadly, that hasn’t happened (yet), so the closest I’m able to get to it is to write about it. The genre I’ve not attempted yet, but hope to one day, is humour.

 

My primary sources of inspiration are other writers, music, and nature. When I read a passage that brings me to tears, angers me, or makes me laugh out loud, I need to figure out how the writer evoked that emotion. When a song stirs me, I pay attention to how the music and words work together to achieve the effect. And when I need a break, nothing soothes me more than a walk along the beach or through the forest.

 

5. I also dream a lot about flying and one of the reasons I love many movies by Hayao Miyazaki (Studio Ghibli). It’s just so fascinating. I think humor is also a huge challenge so look forward to seeing how you tackle that one. Well an interview on For Writing Out Loud always brings some random questionssoooo: If you had a book fort, what ten books would have to be in it for proper fortifications?

 

Ten! That’s generous. So much kinder than the three-book limit for deserted islands.

 

Let me see . . . book fort. My fort will be indoors, so no need for outdoor survival guides or foraging recipes.

 

1. For a foundation, I’d need a solid fantasy. A brick of a book. One ambitious enough to hold my interest for the duration, but it must also have a hint of suspense, some mystery and romance. Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander would fit the bill.

2. And in the event the fort collapses in the wee hours of the morning and I have to rebuild, I would need some humour to lighten my mood. Thomas King’s Indians on Vacation would make me smile.

3. I’d pack something modern with enough superpowers to make my head explode. Victoria Aveyard’s Red Queen would be perfect.

4. And what’s a fort without something spooky for nighttime reading by flashlight? Something by Stephen King, because, well, King. I think his recent book, Later, would work.

5. After King, I’d probably need something soothing to calm my frayed nerves. Poetry would help. Marrying all the Animals by Cornelia Hoogland.

6. I would include something local to remind me where I come from. Howard MacDonald Stewart’s Views of the Salish Sea.

7. An anthology would be useful for those times when I can’t concentrate on longer books. Margaret Atwood’s Stone Mattress.

8. And for when I’m feeling nostalgic, something older to remind me of what sparked my interest in the supernatural. The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.

9. Something in the thriller genre to make my heart race. Anything by KJ Howe, but Skyjackfor sure.

10. And finally, another fantasy to bookend my fantasy collection. Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare. 

 

6. Lol QUITE often people get asked about 3 or 5 books. I think 10 challenges you because you have the 3 or 5, but when you open to a couple more, it’s like oh my…this is just as hard and am always curious about the back half. Great lineup AND variety. Back to your books though. Our characters often hold a bit of who and how we are. How is Emelynn like you? How is she different? And what can people expect to learn from themselves by tagging along with her on this adventure?

 

You’re right! When I wrote Emelynn, I borrowed some of my own traits because I know them so well. Including those details adds believability to a story. Emelynn and I both have long, unruly hair, for example, which made it easy for me to bring that part of her to life. I knew how damp weather would affect her, how she’d pack a large-tooth comb and not a hairbrush, that she’d have a stash of hair elastics squirreled around the house. Emelynn also shares my lack of a sense of direction, so I knew she’d feel frustrated with maps, delighted with a GPS, and be resigned about getting lost.

 

But unlike me, she has an estranged relationship with her mother, she takes more risks, and she’s more naive where men are concerned.

 

Emelynn makes mistakes, she misjudges people, embarrasses herself, places trust in the wrong people. She gets knocked down time and again. But she always gets back up. What I hope people discover about themselves is that they’re stronger than they knew. That they too can recover from mistakes. And often, those mistakes make them stronger in the end.

 

7. Ha!! To unruly hair! Actually think you rock the unruly curls so cheers to you and Em. Dreams of flight are a common thing, though we often see it as liberating. Emelynn’s adventure is quite the opposite. What inspired this unique twist?

 

When I began writing Secret Sky, I started with a simple scene of Emelynn flying. I thought I’d try to capture what it would feel like to step outside on the deck, leap off, and cruise down the coast. But then the realist in me—the annoying practical side—shook her head. No one just ups and leaps from a deck without a) knowing they can fly, and b) knowing how to fly. And those questions begged more questions. How did she get this ability to fly? Who taught her? Are there others like her?

 

So, I set out to answer those questions. The answers ended up dropping Emelynn from the sky, almost drowning her, testing her judgment, and misleading her heart. It’s not a fluffy story. One of my favourite reviews says, “It’s gentle and lyric, and it’s dark and hard.” I think that sums it up pretty well.

 

8. Love that duality and that it goes beyond usual archetypes. Let’s shift gears though,  Imagine that The Gift Series will be offered in a gift box…what else is in the box? 

 

Oh my! It’s a large box. Inside is a super comfortable reclining chair (don’t worry—it’ll match your décor) and a side table. Resting on the table is a bottle of J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon, opened, of course, and a proper crystal glass. There’s a fluffed pillow, a soft blanket, and a pair of slippers. Oh, and a box of dark chocolate truffles. Possibly a big bag of kettle chips (because you’re going to be there a while).

 

9. That’s so cool and now I want a reclining chair to get my read on. And wine? Yes, please. You’ve lived in quite a few places and if life has taught me anything, it’s that every place we live in leaves something of us in them. What places have made the biggest impact and how has your current place of residence molded you?

 

The wonderful thing about living in so many different places is that it’s broadened my perspective. As a writer, it’s given me a wealth of references to draw on, from cultural norms, cuisines, living conditions, and attitudes.

 

The place that impacted me the most was living in La Colorada in Zacatecas State in the mountains of Mexico. My husband and I lived there for a year. We met the most resilient people, ate authentic Mexican food, shopped locally, and hiked unique countryside. I left there with a tremendous respect for the people and the pride they have in their country, their work, and their families.

 

The small island I call home today is ideal for writing. It’s rural and quiet (except during haying season and when the lambs across the road are separated from their moms). My writing perch overlooks the Pacific and in the warmer months when the windows are open, I can hear the waves. Our island is home to the Denman Island Readers’ and Writers’ Festival, which attracts world-class writers, and we have a wonderful bookstore, Abraxas, which is very supportive of local authors. And I’m fortunate to be part of a writing group that meets monthly to offer critique and encouragement. In short, everything about where I live has molded the writer I am today.

 

10. I really love that story. Being Hispanic, I’ve been able to learn so many inspiring stories from so many countries. And although Tex-Mex is nice, real Mexican food is glorious and quite different. I’ll have to ask for a picture of the writing view though. Sounds amazing as does the Writer’s Festival. And now all we have left is to roll out the red carpet and have you share where people can connect with you AND your books. 

 

Thanks so much for inviting me to your blog. It’s been fun. People can connect with me on my website at https://jpmcleanauthor.com. My books are available everywhere books are sold, and readers can find links to the retailers on my website. That’s also where they can download the first chapters of all of my books and get a free copy of my award-winning short story, Boone Park.

****

And there you go, fellow humans. Another wonderful interview and another author to keep an eye out for, as well as check out her recommendations. Cheers To Miss McLean and til next we dive into a chat with your next favorite author.

Peace, love, and maki rolls.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview, JD. Love your personal input and attention to detail. Best wishes as we crawl out of COVID restrictions. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a treat and I like getting to know an author and beyond the questions to also show I'm reading what you sent. Loved the interview and once the book buying ban lifts for moi, your book is high on my to read list :) Thanks for the well wishes and cheers to you and yours

      Delete
  2. Great interview. Always nice to learn more about Jo-Anne and her stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindest thanks for the read, Allan. Jo-Anne offered quite a few fascinating tidbits from her life, her stories, and her approach. Cheers and have a great day

      Delete