Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Writer Wednesday: Anna J. Walner

Greetings fellow humans and welcome to another Writer Wednesday interview. To keep things interesting and explore another genre, today we’ll be talking about our favorite blood suckers with Texan author, Anna J. Walner. 

 1. Howdy, Anna! Hope that hokey hello doesn’t put you off from chatting it up with us on the blog, lol. So tell us, who is Anna J. Walner, what are some of your claims to fame and why should people dive head first into The Uluru Legacy Series?

 

It’s a pleasure to have you ask! The Uluru Legacy Series takes readers to a new place within the genre of Paranormal Romance. I grew tired of reading the same things, and so I wrote something entirely different from what I’d been able to find. My own adoption story was given to our main character Amelia, and her journey to discover her heritage is where the story begins. But it’s far from where it will end!

 

2. I can definitely relate to wanting to write something different from the norm and it’s great when an author goes for it and freshens things up. And wow, what a compelling thing to add to the story. Keeping with our nosfe-favorites, there are a lot of things that draw me to vampires and what I’ve realized is that it varies drastically from one person to the next. What are some things you love about vampires and what things, well kinda suck?

 

Great question! I’ve always had a fascination with the supernatural elements of this world. Within each tale retold there lies a kernel of truth. I think for me the simple possibility of a society like The Colony existing in secret is alluring for so many different reasons.

 

The things that I didn’t like were the standard things you might find in a lot of contemporary tales. Especially within the YA genre. I didn’t want to go back to school, or be riddled with teen angst. I didn’t want vampires falling in love with vampires. I wanted something unpredictable and believable. The characters in The Uluru Legacy could truly exist and coexist with us and we would never know!

 

3. Believable is definitely the best and people respond to that. Actually, you won an award for your debut novel, Garkain. How did that feel to come out of the gates cracking? Has that initial push affected your plans for the series and how many books will be in the series?

 

Of course winning two awards was a confidence boost, without a doubt. But really the push to continue on, to keep digging deep and keeping up the faith came from an amazing support group of online friends I made while marketing. But the awards did give me the realization that it is a good book. I wrote a really good book. People will enjoy reading it. And they have!

 

4. That’s so lovely to read, and indeed, our tribes definitely push us to keep on keepin on. Your series seems to deal with a Matrix type of dilemma, either know or revel in the bliss of ignorance. What does knowledge mean to you and what role does choice play in the series? 

 

Speaking from personal experience, I sought out my biological mother and siblings with a desire to not revel in the bliss of ignorance, which I think I brought to Amelia’s character. She’s driven to find out more, open minded about the choices presented, but at the end of the day Amelia isn’t one to be pushed around. She makes her own choices.

 

5. I can get an idea of why people respond so well to your stories then. To offer a different type of question, I saw during June, there was a period where all proceeds from preorders of Garkain were donated to the Montgomery County Women’s Center https://mcwctx.org/ to benefit those who are in need to support for Domestic Abuse. Beyond being commendable to support a good cause, tell us, what does this cause mean to you, why do you support it, and why should others support it as well?

 

In April of 2019, I found myself in a dangerous situation at 6 months pregnant. A violent situation. I was unable to run, because he wouldn’t allow me. Unable to hide and call for help, because he had taken my phone. I did the only thing I could. I fought back. In doing so, I saved both my life, and my daughter’s life. Although that choice is not one I regret, I was charged with assault. Which only proves how the system can and does further punish survivors of domestic abuse.

 

I was lucky. I had a support system, a loving family and a place to go. Many women do not. And many women need help getting out of situations like the one I was in. Before they find themselves fighting for their lives. That’s why this cause is so close to me. Because I lived it. 

 

6. It’s crazy how messed up the system is. Still, that’s an amazing story and I’m just happy you were able to do the right thing, consequences be damned. I do hope people also give a check to that cause. Everyone deserves support and a chance to live. Anyways, back to books but thanks for sharing that with us. In the Uluru series, there’s the mention of THE Colony…is that the only Colony? If not (and without giving spoilers) how many colonies are there?

 

I can tell you that there are others around the world, which is within the first couple of chapters. Going into further detail would be spoiler territory. But we will explore it later in the series...  

 

7. LOL, I appreciate not getting the spoilers. And hey, it wouldn’t be an interview on For Writing Out Loud without some random questions, so here goes. If vampires and werewolves had to do a dance off, what music would each side play, and who would win?

 

Literally laughing right now! I would say the Garkain (vampires) would be a sort of dubstep crowd. While Larougo (Werewolves) would be more of a country vibe to their playlist. And Garkain would totally win. Except for Amelia, who can’t dance. She would be watching or laughing. 

 

8. Ha! Now I’m laughing and can imagine a lot of my two left footed friends relating. Beyond being a published author, you’re also a Mom, and that’s even more important to you. How has writing impacted being a mother and vice versa? 

 

I don’t try to let them impact each other. All of my writing, marketing, and editing are done after she’s in bed. Which makes for long nights! As a single mom, we’re very close, so she always comes first. She demands to come first LOL. She’s head-strong, just like her mom. 

 

I will say that I do spend a lot of time on my phone, so I may have to respond to an E-mail or take a call in the middle of our tea party. But she has a wonderful maw maw and paw paw who adore her, and they help me out at times when I have to dedicate a chunk of the day to an appearance. 

 

9. Here’s to that wonderful support system and hey, I’d happily take over a tea party lol Check my #Teactionary entries on Instagram. It’s a thing. Lol ok, another random Q: You are tasked with designing spa packages for vampires and werewolves, how do your pamper members of each race and what would the price tag be?

 

Hair cuts and trims for Larougo. Definitely focusing on the hair. Garkain get the full treatment, all luxury. Spare no expense!

 

10. Which is the way it should be :D There you go, friends. Thanks to Anna for stopping by and indulging in a little randomness though all that is left now is to roll the crimson carpet for her so she can tell us where she is at online and where you can find her books. 

 

Website:          https://annajwalner.com/

Instagram:      https://www.instagram.com/annajwalner/

Twitter:           https://twitter.com/AnnaJWalner

TikTok:           https://www.tiktok.com/@annajwalner?lang=en

Facebook:       https://www.facebook.com/AnnaJWalner

 

****

 

Kindest thanks to Anna for her time and generosity to share about her life story and the stories in her books. Give her a follow and til next we chat, 

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment