Monday, February 9, 2015

So you want to write a book Part 1: Why and What

Plenty of people say they want to write a book. Few actually do. 

It’s been two years since I published Only Human and in that time, over a hundred people have told me they have a story or that they have an idea for a book. People have been kind enough to ask me for advice, tips and pointers and I always do my best to help out and answer any and all questions that come my way. 

(By all means, if you have a question, email me: jdestradawriter@gmail.com).

So let’s say you want to write a book. The first thing you have to ask yourself is why you want to write a book. If your answer is to make money, get a movie deal or become famous, maybe writing a book isn’t the best option for you, honestly. 

Writing is not an easy way to make a living. It is demanding, draining and is devoid of an exact science. By this, I mean that just because you’re brilliant and a hell of a writer doesn’t guarantee pretty much anything. 

To be honest, I think that if you want to write a book, completing the project should be its own payoff, i.e. Your greatest reward from writing a book is, well… writing a book. Everything else should be a bonus. I say this because if I needed fame and fortune to be satisfied, I’d be under medication right now. By caring about the story and the work, I look past low sales and low engagement. 

Who knows? Maybe your book sells two million copies and becomes an ultra-successful series… but what happens if you only sell two copies? Neither of these outcomes should take away from the fact that you finished a book. 

After asking yourself why you want to write a book, go to the next question: what do you want to say?

If you have something to say, that’ll be what drives your narrative. If instead you want to write a zombie book because they’re selling like hot cakes, ask yourself why you need to sell something that doesn’t really say something that’s true to you. 

Once you've answered these questions, then and ONLY then should you go o the next step to focus on the how.

Something to talk about on our next post.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment