Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Creative Connections – We Read Blog


Although social media may have things that aren’t that great, it has others that are simply fantastic. You come across artists, writers, musicians, and creators of all types. Semi-recently, I was able to discover a very lovely blog by two Puerto Rican professionals, with a variety in interests, but a common passion for books. There’s a lot to enjoy about We Read, but rather than give an even longer intro, why don’t we get to meet both Mariely and Andrea Carolina from We Read in our first multiple person interview on the blog.

Greetings, salutations y saludos mi gente. So lovely to have you on the blog and although we’ll get pretty in depth, why don’t we start by sharing with the readers what is We Read, the contributors, and how you met?

 

Hi JD and all the readers! We are so happy to be here! We Read is all about books, bookish events, crafts, and more. Andrea Carolina and Mariely here! We both study at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. There’s a 10 year age gap between us and we met at the university, where Mariely was coordinating a talent show Andrea Carolina auditioned for. We started to find out about the things we had in common, and that’s how the friendship started. Our bonding started to build when we decided to take ASL classes together. After that, Andrea Carolina joined Mariely’s book club and the rest is history! 

 


*In the 2nd and 3rd photos you can see how we project versus how we really are once you get to know us*

 

That's so lovely that you guys bonded over something that can be so helpful and that honestly, most of us should take on. Something very lovely I’ve seen on the YouTube channel is that you do book reviews using American Sign Language (ASL). Where did this idea come from, what has been the reaction from the community, and what can both of you tell us about what ASL means to you?

 

This idea came from Andrea Carolina! One day, we were casually talking and she was giving me ideas for the blog. One of the things she mentioned was that it would be great to expand the blog’s audience. I used to blog only in English. So there she was, telling me to write blog posts in English and Spanish and eventually add reviews in ASL. I loved the idea! And now, she’s running the along with me.

 

For me (Mariely), ASL is an opportunity to connect. Besides learning another language, I learned about the deaf culture and their struggles. It was a process of learning and growing. It inspired me to help this community, especially within my area of studies. For example, sometimes deaf people don't have privacy when it comes to going to therapy. I’d love to change that! Besides, I have other plans involving the deaf community and I hope I can share them soon.

 

For me (Andrea Carolina), I’ve always been interested in learning ASL for fun; however, in my first class I learned how important it actually is, and how it contributes to a more inclusive society. I really learned about the deaf community’s daily struggles and I’d love to help others understand common misconceptions about being deaf and how the hearing community can be more inclusive and conscious on the topic. 

 


When you review books, do you normally agree on your opinions or is there a lot of variety between what each of you thinks?

 

Since we have similar tastes in books, we normally agree on our opinions. But sometimes we are like, nope, nope, nope. We even fight like sisters, ok? But yeah, we write our reviews on our own and then add them together on the blog. This way, there’s no way we can influence each other. We want our reviews to be honest, even if we don’t agree on our opinions. 

 

Honesty shall always be the best policy. And although it's completely natural, it's still curious to see that dynamic. How do your tastes differ and where do you agree?

 

Mariely: We have a couple of things in common. One of the differences I can think of is that I read almost anything! Including memoirs and fantasy-which Andrea Carolina doesn’t like very much. But, we both love poetry, short stories, and romance.

 

Andrea Carolina: I absolutely LOVE poetry books. I’d say those are my favorite kinds of books to read. I’m not so fond of sci-fi books, unless it’s Star Wars (ALWAYS say yes to Star Wars). Fantasy isn’t my favorite genre either, unless it’s magical realism and Isabel Allende is writing it.  Mariely was spot-on with the genres that we both love! 

 

When it comes to Puerto Rico, what are your thoughts on the reading and writing communities on the Island?

 

Andrea Carolina writing! The writing community in Puerto Rico is rapidly evolving and growing. Personally, when I was growing up, I wasn’t really introduced to Puerto Rican authors, and I think it’s because I grew up in schools that were kind of “americanized”, or just didn’t see true potential in modern Latinx authors. Whenever I thought of great authors, I thought explicitly about Margaret Atwood, John Keats, Julio Cortázar, Isabel Allende, Julia de Burgos, or Francisco Arriví. Never was I taught about the great authors that can talk about their thought process with us TODAY. We should really take advantage of these writing communities-have conversations and support their development. And maybe hopefully, when the future generations study about great Puerto Rican writers, there are new names added to the list. 

 

Mariely here! I think the reading and writing communities in Puerto Rico need more visibility. I really wish people would be more interested in reading books by Latinx authors. Many of my friends don’t read, so I always get excited when I connect with another Puerto Rican book lover on social media. And now with the pandemic, online reading communities are very active, and that’s something I’m really enjoying. It is keeping me sane! Same thing goes for the writing community. Now, I’m constantly seeing writing workshop announcements and that makes me very happy. I recently connected with a group of writers through a fiction workshop, and even after finishing the workshop, we are still sharing our work and giving each other feedback. They have been very supportive with a book I’m working on! Actually, this is one of the few things I’m thankful for during this quarantine time. I was able to get mentorship on my writing, I got more confident and I even started sharing (for the first time in years) my short stories and poems online with everyone! 

 

This one is specific to Mariely. Beyond We Read, you have several interests. On the one hand you’re studying psychology and on the other you design some fun nerdy things. Can you tell us a bit more about them?

 

Yes! I’m very passionate about learning. So even though I completed my Masters in Counseling Psychology, I decided to go on. I recently began my PhD in School Psychology with a subspecialty in Clinical Psychology. It was a big change in my life and I’m still getting used to it. I even quit my job after 6 years so I could focus 100% on grad school.

 

There’s a couple of things I love: reading, writing, psychology, music, crafts, and more. My crafty side came from my maternal grandmother and my mom. I usually make crafts with my mom, but when I make stuff by myself, I always consult things with her. We enjoy making jewelry (beading and metal stamping), knitting, sewing, stickers/decals, scrapbooking and other paper crafts. We actually have an Instagram account where we share our crafty side: The Crafty Nerdies

 



 

And when it comes to Andrea, a not so hidden talent is singing. Can you tell us where the love to sing was born, what if any training do you have, and what does singing mean to your life?

 

I’ve always loved the arts-singing, acting, writing,-any form of expression, truly. 

 

My love for music started when I was four years old, when I took my first violin class. A fun-fact from these violin classes is that my Dad would drive me and my brother to them, and he always had a fun playlist to listen to on his CDs. These songs included Ozzy Osbourne, Paramore, Depeche Mode, along with Beethoven, Bach, and others. So, there really was a variety there. However, my Dad noticed my singing abilities when he heard me sing “Olive oiiiil”, instead of “All aboaaard” in Osbourne’s “Crazy Train”. After that, I took some classes and my first performance was at the age of eight in Aguadilla Mall. I was truly terrified, but my love for singing grew exponentially from there on out. Singing, acting, and writing are my true sources of happiness. Those are my most genuine forms of expression and what I’m truly passionate about. 

 


*This is a picture of me at my first on-stage performance. My eyes are red and teary because I cried (a LOT) before getting on stage because of how nervous I was. However, my mom promised to buy me something at KB Toys if I went through with the performance. Talk about motivation!*

 



Always love sharing all the talents people have and you both definitely bring some very distinct things to the table. Ok, hard pivot of randomness because that's how this blog rolls. You are tasked to create a fun house maze with two escape rooms, what is in each room?

 

Mariely: Hey, JD! How do you know I love escape rooms?! Lol. Ok so, the first room in this fun house maze will be a library, duh! And people will have to look for clues inside the books. They won’t know this but the trick is in the book titles! They will need to put them in alphabetical order and then the code inside the books will make sense. When they crack the code, they will be able to open a safety box. Inside, they will find an UV flashlight. So they need to turn off the lights and look inside the entire library for things written on the walls, floor and even the ceiling, to be able to enter the next room. 

 

Andrea Carolina: *I, on the other hand, have NEVER been in an escape room. I know, I know, do I live under a rock?!*

 

The second room will be a study, with a few tables and again, many books. Only this time, there will be world-recognized books and inside some of them, you’ll find notes with some famous quotes. To be able to exit, you must match the quotes to their respective books. Hmm, maybe I should copyright this idea...

 

Fashion is also something you both seem to enjoy, so if you had the ability to design a full book related ensemble, what would you design, and why?

 

Andrea Carolina here! We both love fashion with anything in ASL (we’re constantly sending Instagram posts back and forth with anything containing sign language). So, we’d probably steer towards that. Also, we love book inspired jewelry! Mariely has some gorgeous book earrings I’ve always loved. We also really love the idea of purses that look like notebooks OR notebooks that look like purses. Andrea has about three notebooks that look like purses (you can find them in Marshalls, btw!). Another fashion must-shirts, notebooks (or anything really) with book quotes on them!

 

Hey, Andrea Carolina! Don’t forget about the bookish tote bags! - Mariely

 

And voilá, this is the finish line although people might want to get in touch for more We Read fun, so by all means, tell us where people can find the blog and your other interests.

 

Thank you for having us, JD! Un abrazo desde Puerto Rico.

Blog: www.wereadblog.com

YouTube: We Read Blog

Instagram: @wereadblog

Facebook: We Read

 

* * * *

 

Kindest thanks to Andrea Carolina and Mariely for taking some time to let us get to know them a bit better. Always fascinated by the amazing people I come across in my writer journey and who am I to not share the wealth? By all means, check out their blog, YouTube music channel, and feel free to connect in English, Spanish, or ASL! Til next we connect creatively. 


Peace, love, and maki rolls.


JD

No comments:

Post a Comment