Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Creative Connections – Joshua Pantalleresco


Creativity is all around especially when you get to meet indie and traditionally published authors who have the need to do a variety of things because part of what drives them is not wanting to be a one trick pony. Joshua Pantalleresco is this type of creative who is driven to do what he believes in, pulls back no punches, and does not shy away from ANY challenge. Although I could easily focus on just his writing, I think it’d be a disservice to his commitment to variety, which I was able to get to know a bit better thanks to a nice chat we had on his podcast. So here are a couple of questions so we can all get to know him a bit better.

 

Firstly, welcome and thanks for taking time from your super busy schedule. I truly enjoyed our chat the other day, so let’s start with your podcast, Just Joshing. What motivated you to start a podcast, what makes your podcast unique, what are some horns you’d like to self-toot, and what can people expect from any of your episodes?

 

My whole career is an accident, including this podcast. Accidentally got published. Accidentally started a podcast. In this case, I got the opportunity to interview Robert J. Sawyer.  I had finally gotten my hands on a smart phone and congratulated myself on making it to the 21st century. I have a really good conversation with Robert, and after, we leave the conference hall, and someone asked Robert, “What did you do?” He answered, “I was just interviewed for Josh's podcast.”

 

I didn't have a podcast. But something clicked. And here I am.

 

What makes my podcast unique is that I interview creative people and get their story. I talk about everything with everyone, no matter their age, or their politics. I don't care. I just want their story and that's what I get. It could be Robert J. Sawyer or Spider Robinson. Or it could be Savannah Denise or Edwin Downward. Everyone has an interesting story.

 

It’s pretty cool to see the variety of people you’ve interviewed and how their story is what guides the interview. So how is the podcast related to your recording audiobooks? Which came first, how does your approach to each vary and what are your criteria for taking on projects and interviewing people?

 

The podcasting came first. My approach to the podcast is to keep it authentic. It's eclectic and a little raw. I don't want it to feel overproduced or squeaky clean. I want it a little rough and dirty. If I interview someone at a cafe, I'm keeping the orders, the waitress/waiter in the story. It's part of what happened that day. One podcast we literally went from a restaurant to a coffee shop. I kept it all in. It's real. It happened. It's different.

 

I literally feel I can get an interview out of anybody. It doesn't matter who, where, or how. I've interviewed politicians, comedians, musicians, actors and actresses, writers, directors, pro-wrestlers, metal bands, game designers, streamers. Their story and their drive to succeed is what makes them interesting.

 

As a transition to audiobooks, I used to do one episode a week. My demands for interviews just went through the roof. I'm at three episodes a week and I'm still a month or so ahead of content. But when COVID happened, I had a thought. CS Lewis told his story in the middle of London when bombs were being dropped all around him. In the heart of it, telling our story is the ultimate act of hope and rebellion. So now I do two interviews and one reading episode a week.

 

From there, I started experimenting. I've been telling my story each and every week since. I learned a lot about putting together audio books by playing with my own. I can do it with sound effects, as I tried that. I tried just silence.  Sound is a language.  You can do a lot with it.

 

If I'm narrating a book, I'm worried about the tone. I'm working on my first audiobook for a client right now. I'm doing a chapter one, two, or three different ways. Next week, he's getting a copy to choose. I don't want to feel like I'm just reading text. I want to give the characters life and feeling. I'm adding to the story already being told. 

 

As for me taking on a client, I'm looking for people who want to have their story told, and are serious about it. I learned early on in freelancing that you have to set boundaries and you have to chase people to succeed. I'm doing all that. Beyond that, I'm learning to settle into my niches, but I'm also quietly talking to people to do voices for me. So I'll be expanding as I get more clients.

 

For now, if you are doing science fiction, thriller or humor, I'm your guy.

 

Cheers to variety and finding each story’s voice. I think that’s key and it sets apart the OK narrators from the ones that make a world of a difference. Ok, so hard pivot, how long have you been writing for, what’s published, and what’s coming up?

 

I've been writing since I've been a teenager. 4 books have been published. Three traditional and one indie. The novel is indie and the poetry books are traditionally published. My next poetry book is coming out after the current chaos in my life is finished. Probably September 7th.

 

Four is my lucky number and I always try and give this space to a special question, so tell us, what are your 8 rules to success, how’d you come up with them, and what has the impact been in your life?

 

  1. Show Up – so simple and yet, this and rule 5 are the two rules most broken.
  2. Do your thing – pretty straight forward.
  3. Don't Quit – The cliché, I know, but it's so true.
  4. The Rest is Rain – Recognize that you have only control about what you control.
  5. Get out of your own way – Success creates expectations. Be smart enough to recognize what brought you to the dance, and maintain it.
  6. No Excuses – in the end there are none. Don't try.
  7. Be Grateful and be thankful – in my worst moments in life, I had good things. Sometimes you don't realize it, but if you look around, it can be amazing.
  8. Stay Uncomfortable – Going out of your comfort zone is where the magic happens.

 

While we were chatting, we discussed a lot about clients and how managing expectations, workloads, and ground rules is key, what would you say to someone who has a hard time saying no to projects?

 

Remember that you left your job because on some level you resented it. Don't let your dream become something you resent. Remember what brought you here, and never let anything get in the way of that feeling. If you resent it, either be paid well for it or subtract it. You'll be happier.

 

You are definitely someone who never wants to wonder why? What are some of the bigger risks you’ve taken in your life, what were some key lessons you learned?

 

I always wonder why, or I wonder why not, and that's why I do the things I do. So let's talk three risks in my life. So my first date was at 14. It came at the result of a wrong number. I had two girls on the line that agreed to meet me and a friend on a date. So I had to think about getting a friend to go. My friend, umm... well, he was scared out of his mind. I wasn't. I was wondering what was going to happen next. Unfortunately, once everyone got together, there was a “now what moment” and we all backed off.

 

My other big dating mistake at a young age was that I had this crush on one of my sister's friends. I didn't do anything about it until much later when while, we still liked each other, the moment had passed. I regret not making the move when I was younger. Who knows what could have happened? I hate that feeling of regret and don't understand why people just let it happen. Worst feeling ever.

 

Biggest risk I ever took was either now, walking away from my job in order to pursue my freelance career, or when I worked for a hero. I just got a job to manage the bookstore for someone I grew up reading and admiring. It didn't work out, but that failure taught me more about myself than success ever has.

 

Three things I learned: One day I'm going to die. And really, once I realized that, most of my fears just disappeared. I'm scared of incredibly little. It's not that I don't feel fear, but I've seen the end of the road, not much on this earth is as scary as that. So I don't fear taking any chance, if I feel it will let me become the person I want to.

 

The second thing I learned: Let your anger out. Holding things in kills you more. I had hostile feelings to that author for what happened. Having to acknowledge to myself that he did his best was one of the hardest things I had to do. Facing the truth, and acknowledging my faults in the matter made me a man.

 

The third thing I learned: It's okay to be ruthless. I will never let myself be put in that situation again. And if I feel you are trying to take advantage of me, I will cut you off. I have no problem looking like the villain.

 

Earlier on we talked about your podcast, so tell us, if you had to recommend three episodes because of the people you chatted with and what you talked about, which episodes would they be and what can you tell us about the people you interviewed?

 

Just three? Hmm...super hard. My three favorite conversations this year so far are Christina Z. (Episode 384). She is someone you could fall in love with. Super talented, but so curious about life. She has a zest for it that I found incredibly unique. There's no one like her and I loved getting that opportunity to talk to her.

 

K. Lynn Smith I must mention (Episode 371) not only because she will steal my lunch money if I don't, but she's an amazing woman. Incredibly gifted storyteller who doesn't get the credit she deserves. I'm happy with her success and I hope I get to work with her someday.

 

And I'll go with Felipe F. Thomaz (Episode 358) because he's such an accomplished creative genius. His music is touching; his game is incredible. I was really fortunate to meet him. 

 

Honorable mention should go to Vox Pop Games (Episodes 338 and 339) because of what I learned about video games in that episode. One of those moment I got a lot out of it. And I'm a big Kat Hutson fan (Episode 393, 394). So chill. We just click. 

 

What are 3 things people think about Canada that are totally right and 3 that are totally off?

 

3 true things about Canada. We are overly polite, we apologize about everything, and we love our alcohol. We'll drink anyone under the table. 

 

Three totally off things: We are made fun of for our intelligence if you watch comedy. Canadians are some of the smartest, most intelligent people in the world. We do have a backbone. We're nice, but when we have enough we will break you. We're more likely to revolt than you guys down south. And three, we're also some of the most talented. We just don't believe it most of the time.

 

What are some small joys you try to indulge in even during lockdown?

 

There's this little bakery shop across the street from my dad's place. They make the most amazing cinnamon donuts you'll ever have. That's my indulgence. That and coffee.

 

Ben & Jerry’s called and they want to do a Just Joshin ice cream flavor? What’s in it and describe it in as much or little detail as you want.

 

It would be a vanilla, chocolate, and peppermint combination called Emerald Dawn. I'm a Green Lantern fan so I'd do that as an homage, but it would be for those who can't decide between their ice cream flavors with a minty add on to make it amazing. People would eat it and be happier with their day. 


 


What is one adage people repeat as if it’s a universal truth yet you heartily disagree with?

 

I'm quite the contrarian actually. I almost always feel like if everyone is doing something, it's wrong. The majority of people when clustered together no matter how smart the group is, is usually mouthing something from someone else. There's no depth of thought. It's either you're one of us or one of them.  When there is no nuance, that usually means the thought is not really a thought at all.

 

Aliens visit the planet and they find a time capsule you left behind… except it’s purposely designed as a crazy wild goose chase? What would be in it and where would you send these aliens to?

 

There would be a PEZ dispenser and map that would say to take the left turn at Albuquerque and have it crossed off. You could still see it, though. So, that way, you'd have half the aliens wanting to follow the map, and the other wondering why you shouldn't turn left at Albuquerque. :)

 

Where can people find you and what’s next for you?

 

People can find me at either https://jpantalleresco.wordpress.com or on social media as @jpantalleresco. I'm the only one, I swear. My podcast Just Joshing can be found anywhere you can find a podcast. It's up three times a week. Two interviews, and one storytime episode which features an author or musician coming on board to add their own voice to the show. 

I'm hard at work searching for my next audiobook client. If you need me to narrate, produce, and put together your book, give me a shout at michaelthroughtime@live.com. Let me help you tell your story and check out the link here.

-

And there you have it folks, another Creative Connection and if you’re looking to get your books in audio form, maybe Josh is the right fit for you. In the meantime, remember to NOT turn left at Albuquerque, always have your PEZ dispenser fully loaded, and leave fear to the side. 

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment