Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Creative Connections - Kizzy Lou

A birthday Estrada toon and the lovely artist who drew it

When you go to conventions or when you interact with creators of all types through social media, you find a wide array of fun people with a variety of skills. Sometimes it’s someone who can record audio books, other people can score a movie, some people can possibly be the perfect artist for the cover for your book, and beyond. In the case of Kizzy Lou, her super power is smile inducing cuteness and I’ve lost count how many of her artworks make me smile. Recently she did the artwork of me for my birthday and I really really wanted to share her awesomeness with more people. So here are a few questions to get to know Kizzy Lou.

 

1. Firstly, thanks SO much for dropping by the blog. We’ve known each other for a while now but let people know who you are and how long you’ve been an artist.

 

Thank you for inviting me! I'm Kiera, but most people online know me as Kizzylou or just Kiz. I've been drawing since I was a child, and some of my earliest and clearest memories involve crayons and paper.

 

2. So I have to ask, where did the slug club idea come from and how many slug designs have you done so far?

 

Slug Club started as a joke - I drew my husband as a Slug and slapped it on a mock ID badge. I stuck it up on twitter and jokingly asked if anyone wanted to join, and was completely stunned at the response! I've done 108 IDs so far, and am happy to draw more.

 

If you want to join the Slug Club, just write Kizzy :)

3. You take requests on your RedBubble page, right? What are some of the most unique commissions you’ve been asked for and what’s your process when you take on a project?

 

Yep, I'm more than happy to take requests on Redbubble. The most unique ones I've drawn are 'punchlines' - they're the end of a long in-joke, like Brandon Flowers of The Killers eating a bacon butty (sandwich), or Anxiety Snail saying "Twice more than Jesus"...

 

Commision 

Commission

My process depends on the request. If I'm unfamiliar with the subject it's Google, Google, Google for reference material, then sketching until it's right. Then I ink and colour, send it to the client, and cross my fingers! I also design tattoos, and the process for that is pretty similar.

 

4. What does art mean in your life? 

 

Art is really important to me. Drawing helps me cope with my mental health issues: I have Borderline Personality Disorder and depression (un-fondly referred to as my 'brainweasels'), and when I draw, it literally puts me in a better place, mentally.

 

Other people's art is also important. I follow a lot of artists online, and as well as causing me to sob "I'LL NEVER BE ANY GOOD!!!", they inspire me to try new things and motivate me to try and be better.

 

5. If you had a snack named after you, what would it be called and what would it have?

 

Ooh, I like this one. If I were a snack, I'd be sweet and slightly salty, so I think one of those posh chocolate bars with caramel and sea salt. I haven't a clue what I'd be called!

 

6. What are some unique places where you’ve gotten requests from?

 

I recently got a request out of the blue from Puerto Rico, which blew my mind. I drew Slug Club ID' s for people in the US, South Africa, Belgium, Australia...

 

7. What inspires you?

 

My family are a big inspiration. If I run out of ideas, they're always happy to give me prompts. Same for my friends online.

 

Artists I like are mostly fantasy artists like Geoff Taylor, Michael Whelan, Vallejo & Bell... I also follow tattoo artists, and that's a major inspiration.

 

8. Do you have a design music playlist you listen to while designing? 

 

I don't have a playlist, sadly. I generally work against a background of The Family doing what they do. If I get the chance to work quietly, I like to listen to audiobooks. 

 

9. What would you say to someone who wants to do fun art for others?

 

If someone wants to do fun art for others, I say GO FOR IT! It's a small and effective way to put good into the world and bring a smile to other people's faces. And it makes the artist feel good, too :)

 

10. Where can people find and support you?

 

You can find me on Twitter: @kizletwiggle

 

Instagram: @kizzywiggle

 

Ko-fi: ko-fi.com/kizzy (if anyone wants to buy me a cuppa!)

 

Or Redbubble: www.redbubble.com/people/kizzyslugs

 

I'm happy to chat, to take requests, or to encourage others. 

 

Thank you again for having me, it's been great chatting with you.

 

-

 

So there you have it folks. By all means give Kiera a follow and if you do, tell her JD sent ya lol. She's a great friend, PLUS, she can slug you the right way. :D


I got slugged! lol


Also, keep an eye out for more Creative Connections from all around the world. 

 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

 

JD

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment