Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The problem is not circumstances, it’s the story you create

Oh so often I’ve heard people that can’t do something because they don’t have the time, they don’t have the money, they don’t have the resources. When you offer a suggestion you can sometimes come face to face with an answer such as: “well you don’t understand, because I have <DESCRIBE SITUATION TO JUSTIFY NOT DOING SOMETHING> and since you haven’t lived that, you can’t relate.”

Fine.

I can’t relate.

But I can share my version of the story and I’ll use 2014 as an example of what it means to not let circumstances define you. During that year, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, I had some financial challenges I had to face in addition to that, I translated three text books, one human resources manual over 100 pages long in a span of 9 days while maintaining my dayjob, wrote and translated a website, and still managed to participate in the Puerto Rico Comic Con, published another book, started working on several projects which are well underway and forthcoming, wrote 119 blog posts and became active on Instagram and Google Plus along with maintaining Twitter and Facebook.

That is just one part of the story, of course but the challenges were there, the time was scant, but the desire and the will to create and keep going forwards was there. I didn’t offer excuses, I didn’t justify, I just kept looking at my goals and kept walking for however tired I was.

I created a story where I was able to face all my obstacles, meet my goals, and look for inspiration where others would find a reason to opt out. I didn’t let anyone convince me I should or shouldn’t do anything. I wanted to do a book activity, so I did the book activity. I wanted to publish poetry and short stories and I did. I could have opted out at so many points yet I didn’t. I wanted my story to serve as inspiration to others yeah, but to me to demonstrate to myself that I can do it, that whatever I set my mind to I’ll succeed, and that it’s worth it.

Do I still find challenges? Yes.

Do I still have opportunities to pull out and desist? Yes.

But I’m on my path. 


This is my story. 

And I don’t plan on anyone or anything derailing me. For all those who want to join along for the fun, by all means, and also show me what your story has in store for you. For all of those who are already with me, my words are yours. 

Peace, love, and maki rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment