Monday, June 26, 2017

Why I don’t believe in celebrating Pride Day


Pride is not a one-day thing. Pride as defined by dictionary.com means: “a high or inordinate opinion of one's own dignity, importance, merit, or superiority, whether as cherished in the mind or as displayed in bearing, conduct, etc.” Pride as is being expressed during the month of June is more closely aligned to the love and support for people who identify themselves as being part of the LGBTQ community.

And that’s the thing.

I also don’t believe in the LGBTQ community.

I believe in community.

I don’t want labels to describe my friends even if they want to use them as part of their identity. That’s their right but I refuse to see gender even if I do recognize and respect it. I don’t like, follow, interact, help, love, or even tolerate people based on demographics.

That said, I have a lot of gay friends. I have a lot of lesbian friends. I have friends who’d rather be gender neutral. The only thing I don’t have close to me is someone who is fully transgender, and that’s mainly because life hasn’t put someone on my path to get close to. I know same sex couples who are parents, and they do a wonderful job raising their children. I find no issue with them doing as such but I do find issue with having to say that as if it’s some kind of miracle.

Unfortunately, life is full of different measuring sticks and some are grossly unfair. People are measured, considered, and judged for who and how they are. What also bothers me is that gender dominates the identity of many people where everything they read is LGBTQ oriented and if you don’t read LGBTQ authors, you’re in the wrong. Writing diversely because you’re interested in exploring that is wonderful, but including diverse characters and topics to cater to the market harms stories because it feels and comes off as disingenuous. That said, I do believe more variety will lead to good things and we should embrace diversity rather than demand it.

During pride parades you can see a lot of people who are very flamboyant and that also causes backlash and disgust from conservative people. It sounds awful to write, but rather than pander and cover the sun with our hands, let’s recognize that there are people that aren’t equipped to have that conversation. I’m not saying it makes sense, I’m saying that some people are incapable of acceptance or even tolerance. It’s sad to see that in the 21st century, this still happens. It’s very worrying to know that in Russia being gay might earn you a disappearance or a mugging. It’s scary to know that friends of mine who live in very conservative circles are at risk of physical harm and emotional abuse just because of who they’re attracted to.

“It goes against the Bible.”

“It’s unnatural!”

“God hates fags.”

These are three awful statements people use to somehow justify hate crimes, intolerance, and beyond. Being gay can get you fired in some states. It can get you killed in some countries. This is not hearsay, this is reality… and it makes no sense.

To me, I am proud of my LGBTQ friends for having the audacity to be who they are, to embrace who they are, to love freely, to not judge, to have an open mind, for being made of strong fiber, for insisting on truth rather than comforting others, for standing up for what they believe in, and for loving and making love to whomever the hell they want.

Conservatives are disgusted by homosexuals? No worries. I’m disgusted by conservatives who are disgusted by homosexuals so we’re even… but more important than that, we’re equal. I know a lot of people think otherwise, but if homosexuality is the worst crime a person does in their life versus god fearing heterosexuals that cheat taxes, rape college students, catcall women, shame people, discriminate based on religion, skin color, race, AND gender, then guess what, I’d rather a gay friend who offers kindness with no strings attached than other people who offer support but with a condition.

Which brings me to the title. Why don’t I believe in celebrating Pride Day?

Simple.

Because I believe in celebrating a Proud Life.

Peace, love, and maki rolls to all.

Ps.: That's a rainbow roll and I'll gladly share it with anyone I care for :)



2 comments: