Monday, February 25, 2019

Fake it until you make it? No thanks

I’ve heard many a person say: “You gotta fake it until you make it.” That’s all fine and dandy for some people but not something I’m ever interested in saying or doing. I prefer to keep things real and honest, share the highlights as well as the struggles. 

Part of the reason I went the route of advertising was because people sold me the shiny side and the glamour. Trust me, after working 15 years in the industry, there’s a LOT that isn’t glamorous or even remotely appealing. It has its fun moments but the reality is far from what you are offered in the introductory brochure. 

With writing, it’s the same. You see people who walk with a ton of swag, talk about how they’re the best at X or Y and then you compare with numbers, sales, or even relevance and you see a disconnect. I’ve always found it curious to hear people speak with such bravado but when you look past the green veil, Oz is far from magnificent. The need to put up the show to engage in smoke and mirrors is something that is curious to me because it has to be absolutely exhausting to keep the façade up. 

Many writers of all ages have asked me about my writer journey and I always try to be honest with them. I tell them the struggles, the surprises, the rewards, the effort, the challenges, the failures, and the victories. It is not an easy road at all… but man is it worth it for me. I share about my struggles while writing, getting reviews and sales, and how much effort goes into what I do and how I do it not to deter anyone, but so they know it isn’t easy, and that my journey is not their journey, and odds are they will take another route and it might be easier, harder, a dead end, or a catapult into superstardom. The fact is that we don’t know, we’re doing the best that we can and there’s a lot of winging it, even with a ton of planning. 

Does this mean that there is a lot of luck that goes into success? Well depends on the person. Some people are just naturally gifted and someone spots talent a mile away. Other people work at it and grind away until they achieve sustainability. Some need to pivot, and adjust, and get creative. There’s no set path and what will work for you won’t necessarily work for someone else. 

But still we see people talking about the secrets of success, of the tricks to write compelling characters (even if they haven’t published a book), of how to ensure you avoid common mistakes and how you could benefit from their editing services (yet their books have a ton of typos), and millions of things of the sort. Faking it until you make it IS an option and plenty of people do it, but it’s not something I’m interested in. 

I’m a Puerto Rican indie author, I have 13 books published, people seem to really enjoy what I write but I’m miles away from sustainability. It takes a lot of money, time, effort, and sacrifices to progress, but progress I have. Bit by bit, more people join me on my writer journey so that means I have to be doing something right… it also means there are more things that I could be doing better, and I’m trying to do those things. If you see my professional trajectory, it’s been 15+ years in 8 companies, freelance work in another 5, and plenty of long nights and work weekends. I’ve never won an award in advertising, but people know that if they give me a project, it will get done correctly and that the goal will be to exceed expectations and get results. There are parallels in both trajectories and for good reason. I find no reason or need to not be who I am in a creative and professional context. There are nuances to my skills and craft and when I’m allowed to let loose, odds are heavily in favor of creating something unique be it in a corporate or literary setting. I’m not the best writer, but I am the best writer I can be… and I’m unique. That’s the one thing I’ll always focus on because if anything can be taken away from what I do, it’s that when I’m able to do something I’m proud of, people can tell it's my work.

I’m not saying you can’t fake it until you make it. Hell, I can’t even say that it doesn’t work. A lot of people need to psyche themselves up to get to that next level and they do… it’s an amazing thing because you’re often told you have to dress for the job you want… and that’s completely true. Work in companies long enough and you'll see how true it can be. If you see a picture of me now and ten years ago, not much has changed. I enjoy a good t-shirt and have shifted to quirky rather than edgy, but that, an open button shirt on top, jeans, and sneakers… that’s me. I can dress up from time to time and it’s never to fake things. I recognize that certain contexts require more formal attire. Plus, sometimes it’s nice to dress up. But deep down, I’m a quirky t-shirt wearing, tea drinking, pun loving, sock obsessing, sneakers wearing dude… and I love to write. And that’s what I’ll always be, regardless of my level of success, because although I want to be wildly successful with what I write, the act of writing is what brings me joy… and all I’m trying is to get to the next level where I can do more of that, but never at the expense of my credibility, my voice, or my vision. 

Thank you to everyone who reaches out and offers encouraging words of support. Who read me and review me. Who tell friends about my books and the random things I do. Who follow me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Who believe in me. If that’s happened, it’s been because of who I am, not because of something I’ve faked… and your support and belief in me is worth more than any award. 

Peace, love, and maki rolls

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment