Sunday, April 26, 2015

I’m praying for the end of the world

If you take a snap shot of today’s world, there may be rays of light but there are also plenty of things to not be proud of. We live in a world where profit outweighs morals, common sense, and justice. We live in a world where men and women are not treated equally. We live in a world filled to the brim of technology and whose inhabitants insist on continuing conflicts. We live in a world where being a politician has purely become a career choice instead of public service. A world where pollution has created two new continents in both our major oceans made of garbage. A world where people hunt and exterminate species in the interest of a thrill. A world where young women disappear and nothing happens but if taxes are evaded the stiff arm of justice is there to blindly carry out the priorities of systems that don’t care for people.

Today’s world could be glorious, it could be magnificent, it could run on solar, wind, seismic and water power. Instead, we live in a world where one side of the population is dying of hunger while the other is dying from being overweight. We live in a world flooded by options and denied quality.

I pray for the end of this world. I pray for it every single day.

Let me clarify though: I’m not praying for an asteroid. I’m not praying for Armageddon or Ragnarok. I’m not praying for alien invasions, a huge tsunami that wipes out half of mankind or the zombie apocalypse.

I just want this world to end and to be replaced by something that doesn’t need to be a dystopia. I’m praying for a world where people take care of their own. A world that practices what it preaches. A world where religion is a language and not an excuse to justify our tacit racisms. A world where women are treated fairly, equally and who don’t run the risk of violence just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. A world where the justice system is focused on justice rather than winning or losing. A world where governments are not self-serving, where lobbyists are not needed and where war is but a memory.

I have a dream and I pray for it every single day… but I don’t stop there. I’m kind to strangers, I smile for no reason, I say good morning, good evening, excuse me, please and thank you. I donate to worthy causes, I try to be cleaner, leaner and more carbon neutral, not because I’m participating in the global warming debate but because I think it’s the right thing to do and at the very least I'd like to live in a cleaner world and do something for that. I pray for people, but I also drop a message, I pray for change but I also try to bring change with my actions. I do as much as I wish.

I pray for the end of the world…. And I’m also doing my best to bring that end, with kindness, with love, with understanding and with faith that refuses to be boxed into a specific religion.

I pray for the end of the world… and that’s not a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment