Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Healing through metaphor

When it comes to writing, it has often been a huge therapy for me. It allows me to flesh emotions and better understand what I feel because let’s face it, sometimes it’s hard to understand much less describe what we feel.

That’s where poetry comes into play for me. While blog posts and essays communicate thoughts with feeling, poetry often affords me the opportunity to communicate feelings with an overall concept or ideas just barely keeping things together. That's because creative writing has always allowed me to express how I feel better than a specific description. 

It’s not the same to say you feel extremely sad than it is to say that your happiness is a piece of paper that’s been crushed,  straightened then torn one piece at a time, having each strand fall into the lukewarm puddle of a clogged gutter of emotions.

By getting into particulars you can come to grips with what you feel and if you’re a writer, you can bet others feel what’s burning within. But by saying what you feel and how you feel... that's when others feel along with you. In short, you don't have to understand something to get it.

The great thing about a metaphor is that there’s no right or wrong way to construct a metaphor as long as it makes sense to you. There’s just what you feel. So cast you net of words into the your sea of feelings and see what comes up.

Peace, love and maki rolls.

3 comments:

  1. I love this post,so true,i specially loved how you expressed sadness...it'll help me this post of your's.All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Writing has been instrumental in my happiness and to cope with the challenges of life. Poetry in itself is healing because I've often been able to take a negative to turn it into a positive and we all have that ability. My best to you and here's to healing and giving our best. Cheers

      Delete
  2. :) thank you...all the best to you too.

    ReplyDelete