Monday, April 27, 2015

I am the Anti Axl Rose

Before you think I’m against Guns N’ Roses or Mr. Rose, let me start off by saying this, I actually really, really like GNR. My favorite are the Use your Illusion albums, though I’m a big fan of Appetite and Lies. Hell, I even like Chinese Democracy (for real!)… the Spaghetti Incident, not so much.

Still, I’m am the Anti Axl Rose… according to one of my best friends.

You see, while people may debate whether they like Rose and his music, what no one can deny is that he takes a ridiculously long time to pump out a record. Seriously, Rose makes Tool look prolific in comparison and I’m certain fans are like what the hell, asking and begging for more music.

When I told my friend about my lineup for 2015, and seeing what I’ve done in the last two years, his answer was simple: “You’re the antithesis of Axl Rose.”

From 2013, I’ve published Only Human, Between the Tides, Dark Strands, posted over 200 blog posts, done ten interviews, launched my Facebook author page, participated in the Puerto Rico Comic Con, launched Blanc Comics and I continue to work on about 6 other projects. By the end of the year, at least 4 more books will be published. I will participate in the Puerto Rico Comic Con again and in the summer I plan to do at least two book activities.

And I still feel like I could be doing so much more. I’m currently drafting ideas for future projects, reading multiple books, doing research and planning two highly ambitious projects, one to be completed within the next five years and another that will probably take me a decade, all while working on other things.

I’m sharing this not in search of people thinking me wonderful, magnanimous or anything really. I’m sharing this because I want to do things, I don’t want to wonder, I don’t want to see when I have time to do something, I want to do it. If sharing this can inspire even one person to throw caution to the wind, to go for it, to dream big and swing for the fences, it is worth it. At the beginning of the year I said I’d do various things and I’m on track to keeping with each of those promises. I do this for several reasons:
  1. Since I already said it, that was the equivalent of me giving my word, and I have always done my utmost to be a man of my word. 
  2. There are people who are actually looking fwd to these projects and are asking me about them. I have a weird time calling readers my fans though I’ll go more into this in future blog posts. The fact remains, people are actually saying so when will you be done? And I want them AND myself to be pleased. 
  3. That list helps me keep focused and on track. I know what I said what I would do… now it’s my turn to do it. 
  4. To show that anyone who commits to their dream, can have their cake and eat it too. 
Here’s hoping you get the ridiculous idea of pursuing your dreams… and to prove to anyone, especially yourself that you can do it.

Peace, love and maki rolls

The Anti Axl Rose


Ps.: No Axls were hurt in the drafting of this blog post.

Photo by GunsN'RosesWorldTour2010. Connormah
Source http://www.flickr.com/photos/45568054@N08/4287934892/



No comments:

Post a Comment