Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Monday Reviews – Chinese Hero Volume 3



To offer something a little different, I’d thought I’d focus today’s review on a Graphic Novel. You see, while other people’s favorite comic book characters are Spider Man, Iron Man, Super Man or any other type of man, I am a huge manhua comics fan and my heroes as a kid were Hero Hua, Ghost Server, Lohan, all of the Oriental Heroes, the Iron Marshall and the list goes on and on. Name after name of obscure Chinese comic heroes that to this day remain some of my most prized stories.

I loved the rich narratives, mature subject matter and beautiful artwork and although it may be a bit questionable some of what I was reading (think of an assassin that demanded to eat freshly killed newborn babies), it helped me be the writer I am today, so it can’t all be bad.

The latest compilation I’ve read was Volume 3 of the Chinese Hero saga, a translation and adaptation that has some issues I might take note of simply because it’s different from what I read as a kid in the original translation of the Blood Sword… and because, quite frankly the name changes from one version to the other irked me and the translation flows a bit clunkier.

Regardless of those quips, Chinese Hero Volume 3 still possesses enough Kung Fu extravaganza to make me further wonder how the movie adaptation could have been so sloppy. I won’t go into any detail of the plot and will simply invite you to look up Chinese Hero or the Blood Sword comic books as an option if you want to broaden your reading horizons and read something that is as beautiful as it is brutal.

Peace, love and maki rolls.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment