Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Audible inspiration: Pearl Jam


Quite possibly the single biggest inspiration in my life has to be Pearl Jam. As a kid, my first three CDs that I bought with my own money were the CB4 soundtrack, Dr. Dre’s the Chronic and Snoop Dogg’s Tha Dogg Pound. Then one day, I saw a pink cover with a bunch of hands reaching to the sky with two words on it… Pearl Jam.

This is where my true love affair with rock began and a relationship with what is the most important band in my life. I listened to Ten nonstop and I apologize to my brother for having made that album my own (and Nevermind, and Downward Spiral and The Wall… damn, I owe you big bro).

Throughout my life, Pearl Jam have left an imprint in how I want to do things, and how I want to be known. They could have taken the easy way to success a million times and instead shied away from the mainstream to remain true to their vision and their fans. Although far from a rockstar, that is what I want to achieve. An honest relationship with people who are into what I make and will accept me for who I am and support me while other people ask for the greatest hits.

Album after album, Pearl Jam has delivered tracks that have touched my life, influenced my writing, influenced my music and even the way I surf. They’ve been with me through thick and thin, through heaven and hell, at my highest and my lowest, allowing me to feel like a Nothing Man and feel ok about it or allow my soul to be Given to Fly.

So if you want to know who I am… who I really am and see where some of what I write comes from, by all means, support the greatest band in the world. You won’t be disappointed.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment