Friday, July 26, 2013

Music to write to: Austin Wintory Journey Soundtrack


Earlier this year, I was able to play through one of the most amazing games I’ve ever had the pleasure to enjoy. Journey by That Game Company also happens to be one of the most important artistic experiences in my life because this isn’t your typical game, although that’s a topic for another series of posts talking exclusively about how videogames have influenced me.

That being said, the visual presentation of this game may be downright jaw dropping, but one of the things that really resonated with me and almost had me at tears by the end of this wonderful... well  journey... was its soundtrack.

Austin Wintory created such a powerful piece in this game that it pretty much stands on par with videogame canon of the likes of Final Fantasy 3, Xenogears, Secret of Mana, The Legend of Zelda and other titles whose music strums the deepest strings of a gamer's soul.

The music literally swept me off my feet and into the game and was essential in me being at the brink of tears by the end of the 2 hour-or-so long game. If you want beautiful music that tells its own tale and allows you to chase dreams in the lonely desert of your soul… here’s a fine choice to add to your collection.

Cheers

4 comments:

  1. I can't imagine you crying. You have the face of happiness with an ethereal smile forever plastered on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be surprised. I'm actually quite emotional at times and I've learned that from so many loved ones who have passed away in my life: aunt, all grandparents, dad, 7 great uncles/aunts, and 6 pups. Plus, I thin I have an all time record of brownie points scored for watching March of the Penguins with my wife.... I was literally balling the entire movie. Dunno why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review! I love Austin Wintory's works - especially Journey and Banner Saga - he has the knack for creating inspiring and beautiful atmospheres scaling a wide range of styles. Definitely one of my favourite composers of the recent years. A bit of a side note, but I actually compose fantasy music under Celestial Aeon Project and Wintory's works have been quite a big influence for me. For example one of my latest releases is following the footsteps of Journey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWUe-TcfMs - would love to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked the review and he does indeed do a wonderful job and I agree on your assessment. As for the side note, my initial reaction was ugh, spam. But seeing you wrote a real message I clicked on the link... and I'm very happy I did. The score here is honestly gorgeous and I'm very happy you reached out. Gave a follow on YouTube and actually do have a follow-up question, are you an indie artist or are you represented? I ask because I review indie music for a YouTube channel and wouldn't mind getting in touch to review you on the channel.

      Delete